Finding Fern

Author's note: The idea for this story came to me through a short story I was writing. Suddenly, the entire...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: The idea for this story came to me through a short story I was writing. Suddenly, the entire novel played through my head like a movie. By Chapter 4, however, I hit a writers block, and even though I knew what I wanted to say, I just didn't know how to write it down. I refused to stop writing it, and finally finished Ruby's story.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next »

Author's Note

Thank you everyone for great feedback! It helped me so much with the editing, and I've been working really hard these past few months to write a new-and-improved version that I finally uploaded to Inkpop, which introduces new characters and goes more in-depth. I owe it to everyone who has offered me advice or gave me encouragement. So, thanks again, and keep writing!

Surobhi_Moitrayee said...
Feb. 29, 2012 at 4:02 am:
i really liked it...i have also written a book i'd be glad if you'd read it..

Emily.L said...
I love this piece! I'm guessing this is relating to 'Dear Daddy?'

.Izzy.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Aug. 2, 2011 at 1:57 pm :
Yepp! I guess that kind of ruined the ending for you though..

gracegirl29 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Hey! I really did love this book and I would love to see it grow to its full potential. I'm not all that great with feedback, but I'll tell you what I liked and perhaps some things you could work on. :)

Good:

Your characters were really good, especially Ruby, Goose, and even Fern. It was easy to tell who the major characters and who the minor characters were.

The storyline was very interesting and you filled the plot with enough small events to where I was never really bo... (more »)

Aug. 2, 2011 at 10:06 am :
Thanks for the feedback! I know it could definitely use some fixing up, especially Chapter 8 since that was the most rushed. But your tips were really helpful and I'll definitely consider using them!

Kailey4 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 23, 2011 at 4:13 pm:
wow that felt like I was reading a real book!! VERY nice

Jul. 23, 2011 at 4:25 pm :
Thank you!

PaRaNoRmAl627 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 20, 2011 at 11:12 pm:
I didn't get a chance to read all of it, but before I go to bed I wanted to let you know that I'm extreeemely intrigued by this story. It reminds me of this book i read a few years ago by margaret peterson haddix. the title was something along the lines of double identity. it was a lit more science fiction-y but this just brought it to mind. I did notice a few grammar/spelling errors, but nothing that no one's already pointed out so i dont wanna shove it in your face or anything because there we... (more »)

Jul. 21, 2011 at 4:16 pm :
Thank you! If you remember what the title is tell me, I'm interested

DaylightDarkness said...
Jul. 19, 2011 at 10:06 am:
Ok. Chapter 1 read, and I'll comment again once I've read more. So far.... Really interesting, your premise is good- and it's a unique twist on the long-lost-twin theme. I really like it! One thing, I almost wish therewas more introduction, that I knew more about Ruby, or her mother, or both before she decided to find her sister.

Jul. 19, 2011 at 10:40 am :
Right. I probably shouldn't have rushed into it. Thanks for the feedback so far

Medina D. said...
Jul. 18, 2011 at 6:30 pm:

this and your other novel both have to do with sui.ci.de. I liked this story, and when i read that Fern had committed sui.c.i.de, i felt this dark void, which must've been what Ruby was feeling at that moment. The poem was the best finishing touch, *though it confused me how Fern could be saying that after killi.n.g herself BECAUSE she felt unloved* but I'll decide to let that thought go. 

I pay attention to detail a lot, so i noticed some spelling/grammar mistakes in there but ov... (more »)

Jul. 18, 2011 at 9:28 pm :
Thank you for your feedback! I understand what you were saying about Fern feeling unloved, which made me question whether or not to put the poem in. I did not want to end to story with a dark poem, I was kind of going for a more hopeful ending. I decided to make the excerpt from an earlier time. I figured there were some points in Fern's life where she felt hopeful, so I tried to write something similar to what Fern would've written during that time.

Medina D. replied...
Jul. 19, 2011 at 10:49 am :
Oh, well now that you explain it I'm very glad you decided to throw that poem in. Very well done :)

Jul. 19, 2011 at 10:58 am :
Thank you!

TheSilverLaurel said...
Jul. 18, 2011 at 10:16 am:
this is amazing, chapters fseven and eight are really emotional, and the rest is really well written. 5 stars

Jul. 18, 2011 at 11:33 am :
Thank you!

Megan.J.B said...
Jul. 14, 2011 at 1:55 pm:
Very well done! I liked that it wasn't that long and it was easy to follow! I agree with the other comments about the nice ending with a poem. :) very sweet idea 

.Izzy. replied...
Jul. 14, 2011 at 2:35 pm :
Thanks! I wasn't sure if I was going to put a poem as an ending, but after reading the comments, I'm so glad I ended up putting it in

Mystiecub said...
Jul. 14, 2011 at 9:16 am:
I loved this story, and I also agree with Garnet; that poem was an AWESOME closing.