New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

Just Listen

Author's note: This piece is meant to raise awareness about the effects of bullying, and hopefully it will touch a few people.
Author's note: This piece is meant to raise awareness about the effects of bullying, and hopefully it will touch a few people.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19 Next »

Erica

Yea, she was my friend. We all hung out in a big group at school, always together, never alone. But, come to think of it, none of us were ever invited back to her house or even dropped her off there. She always took the bus home and never stayed to hang out with us. Even when we took our Monday trips to the mall, essential to our survival in the monotonous week, she would always politely refuse and walk down the hall, her hair swinging over her shoulders.

We were both in english, science, and gym together. You’d think I’d know a lot about her, but the truth is, she was pretty guarded. I remember a while back we had to do a project in health class about our family, and she never completed it. She refused to present or even show the class what she had done, so she failed the project. I can clearly remember the resolute, determined look on her face as she sat there, defying the teacher. There was nothing arrogant about her, just something a little…different.

You want me to tell you about english class sophomore year? Umm... sure, okay. We were all in it, me, her, and everyone else. We had that witch Mrs. Branson. Sorry is it okay if I say that about a teacher? You’re not going to tell her I said that are you?

Okay, well anyway we were all sitting around talking and suddenly in walked Brian Hull, who is so stupid it’s actually funny. It made sense that he would be in our sophomore class as a senior! And after him came Mark Langley, the freshman nerd. All my friends were giggling, so I threw them what I knew they were searching for: a funny comment. “Wow, look at the retard. Did he finally learn how to read? And what’s up with those mama boy clothes Mark? Does she feed you too?” All my friends laughed, but she didn’t. She looked at me funny, as if she had just discovered a bad taste in her mouth, gathered her books and turned away.

Okay, I admit it, I was angry. What right did she have to snub me? I’m not proud of it, but I was involved with some of the rumors that were started about her…

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 13, 2011 at 9:55 am:
I was in tears the whole time I read this! I loved the style you used, showing four points of views. Even though each chapter was short, I found that you were able to convey a lot of meaning into them. The voices of the characters gave the story life, and their thoughts were realistic. I can't think of anything wrong with this story. I'm glad you never gave us the name of 'her'. It makes me feel like everyone has their problems, and everyone needs someone to listen to. The ending was superb and ... (more »)

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
May 13, 2011 at 9:49 pm :
No problem! I don't mean to sound imposing, but do you think you could check out my novel 'Wandering Soul'? You should be able to find it in the scifi/fantasy top rated section. I'd really like your feedback! :)

HannahB replied...
May 14, 2011 at 10:45 am :
Sure! I'd love to read your work and comment on it! I just can't find it though..

May 14, 2011 at 7:27 pm :
Sorry about that! I just added a new chapter so teenink is still approving it. It should be up soon! :)