Last Note

Author's note: I hope people understand that depression and suicide are really important issues and more and...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I hope people understand that depression and suicide are really important issues and more and more teens have been dealing with them. I just want to spread the message. Don't ever try to make someone feel so low that they are depressed or try to commit suicide. If you ever feel like you just want to die, just remember that you are strong and you can get through anything. Don't give up.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 Next »

Chapter 4

I wake up to find my mother sitting to the left of me. Her eyes look red and tired, and she looks much older, as if she’d aged to become someone who had lived through everything. She glances at me for a few short seconds before her eyes flit to something else. She looks back at me, just realizing I’m awake.
“Oh, Honey,” she says with a sad look in her eyes, as she grabs my hand. She holds onto it and sobs quietly into her other hand. I can’t bear to look at her. Instead, I look at my brother who just walks into the room. He has the dark brown hair I used to have, before I dyed my hair black. My old hair was so dark, that it was nearly black, and dyeing it didn’t change much. I like it black though. It’s different from everyone else.
“Hey,” Ben says softly.
“Hey,” I reply identically. Somehow I feel calmer with him around. I feel like he’s gone through the same feelings I have. A glance at his wrist reminds me that we dealt with them in separate ways. My eyes skim over his face and I see a flicker of guilt. He looks away, but not at Mom. She has two children, ashamed of themselves, not able to look her.
“We’ve been so worried about you, Hon,” she says.
I stare at her worn out face until I can work up the courage to answer her. I take a big gulp and say, “I’m sorry, Mom. I shouldn’t have gone through with it.” But I so wanted to. Still, I wanted to. But seeing my mom like this—I couldn’t do this to her again.
“Why didn’t you tell me?” she says, clearly hurt.
“I couldn’t,” I say, my voice breaking. I look back to Ben. He still isn’t looking at me or Mom. His eyes are closed, his hands on the bridge of his nose, like he has a headache.
Mrs. Zimmer walks in, notebook in hand, shutting the door with a thud. Ben looks over at her and then to me. “I’m sorry,” she says. “I don’t mean to disturb you, but this is the only time I’m available to see Leia.”
“Of course,” my mom says. She gets up and leaves the room quietly. Ben gives me a look that I know means that he’s worried, but doesn’t want to show it, and follows Mom.
Mrs. Zimmer takes the chair my mom was sitting in and smiles weakly.
“And so, we meet again,” she says.
“Yup,” I reply, meeting her with a blank stare. A stare that I’m hoping will be read as “Don’t mess with me, but I don’t care anyway”.
“Sorry, I would have come yesterday but I got caught up at home. My daughter got sick.” She says it like I must have been so sad yesterday when she didn’t come. Yeah, I really did miss the person I just met two days ago, who is trying to dig through my life and feelings.
“No probs,” I say nonchalantly, like I don’t have a care in the world.
She looks at me intently for a while, trying to figure me out. My story, my attitude, my personality. I don’t want her to know these things. I keep my mouth shut because if I tell her, it’ll be like I’m giving them up. A part of me going into her notebook, and never coming back.
Her sigh is full of resignation and weariness before she begins to lecture me. “Look Leia, I want to work with you. I’m trying to make your life better, and I can only help you if you cooperate. Put down your walls, and I can listen to you and get help for you.” She pauses, hoping that I might intervene, agreeing with her. But this only makes me build my wall higher. Higher and higher until she can’t climb over to find what’s behind it.
Another sigh escapes from her mouth, this time with a hint of irritation. “Leia, if you don’t tell me now, I will just have to keep visiting you. Every day if I have to.”
This does the trick. I don’t want her nose in my business every single day. “Fine,” I say, “I was feeling depressed partly because of my dad.”
After jotting this down in her notebook, she holds her pen on the next line, waiting for me to continue. “The other part was my friends. Well, they’re definitely not my friends anymore, but I don’t think they ever treated me like one. I guess it’s just been building up over time.”
“I see, I see,” she mumbles as she writes more in her notebook. “Alcoholic parents have caused many children to become depressed, and I’m not surprised this was the reason you were feeling suicidal.”
“Yeah, I guess,” I reply, just wanting this to be over as soon as possible.
“Well, this is going to have an effect on the amount of time your dad gets to spend with you. And you’re going to have to go to one of the therapists I have recommended to your mom. You’ll have to keep going to them until they write a report saying that you are no longer having suicidal thoughts or feeling depressed.” She touches my hand and says, “Now, you feel better okay?” Then she gets up and walks out, taking her purple notebook with all the information about me, and who knows how many other people.
I slump down in my bed, gazing at the ceiling, wishing I was anyone but me. I think about the note and I know once I go back to school, everything is going to change. Everyone is going to act different around me. Melinda is probably going to get the entire population of Woodbridge, California to hate me. Well, I bet she doesn’t have to waste her energy on Analea. I’m sure she already hates me for saying that she follows Melinda around like a puppy dog in the note. And Hunter…I really don’t know what Hunter’s going to do. And I don’t want to think about it. I don’t even want to make a guess because I will either expect the very worst, or hope for too much.
So I’ll just lie here, staring at the ceiling. I won’t fall asleep because then it will be tomorrow. And I’m dreading tomorrow because I know that I’ll have to talk to Mom again. And Ben. Despite my efforts to stay awake, my eyes slowly drift asleep. And I dream that tomorrow will be okay. I hope I won’t have to wake up from this dream. Because I know dreams can never be reality.

Forever wishing said...
 I really enjoyed your story! It is something a lot of people can relate to, the feelings thoughts and actions. Will it continue? Anyway, it is amazing!:)

NeverShoutNeverFan replied...
Oct. 14, 2012 at 10:04 pm :
Posting new chapters and new edits of the story righttt now :) 

NeverShoutNeverFan replied...
Oct. 14, 2012 at 10:04 pm :
Thanks :) 

DannehBoi said...
Okay.... I LOVED this! But I was actually thinking it could have been a lot better if it was longer.. You just kinda left me hanging at the end.. I want to know what happens with her and Hunter, with her and her brother, with her and her classmates.. But it was really good, and I enjoyed it. There should be a second one! (:

NeverShoutNeverFan replied...
Jan. 8, 2012 at 6:09 pm :
haha wow thanks!(: haha its not over yet, ive just been super busy with school! chapter 9 should be up in a couple weeks(:

DannehBoi replied...
Jan. 8, 2012 at 7:59 pm :
You're welcome (: And oh really? Haha I'm sorry I totally thought it was :P But now I'm all pumped up and ready for the next chapter! This story is so good and I love it, I'm glad it's not over. (:

NeverShoutNeverFan replied...
Jan. 8, 2012 at 10:47 pm :
haha thanks(:

DannehBoi replied...
Jan. 9, 2012 at 1:46 pm :
You're welcome. (:

DayDreaamer replied...
Jan. 9, 2012 at 8:52 pm :
Ahh I can't waaaiit (:

NeverShoutNeverFan replied...
Oct. 19, 2012 at 11:12 am :
hey its been FOREVER but ive re written some of it with edits here and there, and 3 or 4 new chapters! check it out if you have time!

cjnthinkguitar said...

This is amazing! I am instantly drawn in...

I just have one question.

Do you use yahoo answers?

About a year ago, a question was submitted asking about what would happen to a teenage girl after a failed suicide attempt... Would she go to theropy, rehab or just back to school? Are you the person who asked this question?

NeverShoutNeverFan replied...
Oct. 11, 2011 at 12:25 pm :
thanks! ummm no i dont use yahoo answers sorry!

Steph0804This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 26, 2011 at 11:42 am:
This is a very creative plotline. You know all those stories where the main character commits suicide in the end? This is the opposite. And it's about the consequences of a failed attempt- which no one has ever written about before. The part where I can relate the most to is Mrs. Grisholm, and how there's always someone who doesn't actually want to help for the other person's good; usually, they think of themselves as the knight in shining armor and imagine the other in their arms, crying out of... (more »)

NeverShoutNeverFan replied...
Aug. 26, 2011 at 4:18 pm :
thanks so much! you totally got what i was going for! i mean there are so many books about people trying to commit suicide but i really wanted to write about what would happen if it actually happened, adn then it didnt work. thanks :)

Cielo4ever said...
I LOVE this story...the first line got me...the one where she can't open her eyes? AWESOME!!! :)

NeverShoutNeverFan replied...
Aug. 16, 2011 at 11:37 am :
thanks so much! :)

Cielo4ever replied...
Sept. 22, 2011 at 12:21 pm :
seriously though, i can't believe i wrote that comment. It was a lie.

Cielo4ever replied...
Sept. 22, 2011 at 12:22 pm :
Because i don't LOVE it im IN LOVE with it! You HAVE to finish it!!! <3 love it sooo so so so much. Seriously, if you get this thing in book stores I'll pay so much for it...keep writitng!! <3

NeverShoutNeverFan replied...
Sept. 22, 2011 at 7:09 pm :
haha i totally freaked out for a second i was like a lie?? haha and wow thanks! that means so much for someone to say theyd go and buy it!!! :) thanks! i will definitly finish it! ive been a little busy  with school

Cielo4ever replied...
Sept. 28, 2011 at 6:46 pm :
haha ^^ awesome. and Yeah schools pretty tough :/ but keep it up you rock :P