The Social Class Beast

Author's note: Currently I'm still working on this story. I was inspired by Disney's Beauty and the Beast. I...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: Currently I'm still working on this story. I was inspired by Disney's Beauty and the Beast. I thought, what would a beast be in a high school setting. Heres the results.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Next »

A Mistake

After explaining things to KC last period, I just wanted to go home. This kid required too much of my time, I could’ve been finished earlier with my drawing if the damn boy tried to figure things out for himself. My feet stopped moving and angrily I looked up to see what the problem was. Apparently, traffic by the stairs was terrible. Pulling my books to my chest, I dove in. It was a swarm of pushing, pulling, and sometimes awkward, accidental butt touching.
“Hey!” a girl hissed at
I tried to censor this to teenink's liking, lets see if it works *fingers crossed* This is Misti's POV. Enjoy lunch.
me, someone else spat a few choice words in my direction.
“If you don’t want to be pushed, then don’t move so damn slow!” I shouted, pushing my way through the throng of people. Sometimes I think how nice it would be if they just parted like the Red Sea. That would be very convenient. Finally, I wove my way all the way through the group and turned into my US History class. My books fell into a pile on my desk as I slid into my seat next to Ashanti. She bit her lip and turned to me.
“So Brett texted me during first period… He said something about a fight… Care to explain yourself?” Ash set her phone on my desk and crossed her arms. Slightly curious, I glanced at the picture message on the screen. It was a picture of when both KC and I were standing up and arguing. “I thought we had a deal, I’m the trouble maker and you’re the book nerd.” She teased, “So tell me the story.” I nodded and put her phone back on her desk.
“Well this idiotic new guy just came in and pushed my books off of the table… So I yelled at him for it.”
“You know you could get suspended for even a verbal fight? Mist, I love you and I need you for motivation to go to my classes. If you weren’t here I’d have to go hang at your house during your suspension.”
“Yeah, okay mom it was just one little dispute and the teacher didn’t care.” I sighed and turned down the volume on my i-pod. The bell rang a second time within five minutes, signifying that class had begun. Somehow the class got the teacher off topic again and Ashanti resumed talking to me.
“So I’m just analyzing this picture…This new guy is pretty hot, your thoughts?” I rolled my eyes; she had a strong thing for emo and goth guys.
“If he wears more makeup than me, he’s probably gay. Besides, any guy who can’t respect my books definitely is not my type.” I flipped through a book I was reading. “Good thing I dog-eared the page I left off at.”
“This kid’s a rebel dou*** then?”
“Yeah, he probably just uses girls for sex. KC’s not worth your time.”
“Who?”
“That’s Rebel Dou***’s name.”
“Oh.” Ashanti went back to texting Brett and I resumed reading. That’s when I noticed it. My name was being whispered and I could feel stares burning into my skin. I bit my lip and tried not to hyperventilate like I usually do when people notice me. Quickly I put my book on the pile and pulled it to my chest, shooting out of the room as soon as the bell rang. It was time for lunch where my friends could distract me from what people were saying about me and the new guy.
Ashanti struggled to keep up. Eventually we walked into the cafeteria. It was about twice the size of my biology room, but with a lunch line, kitchen, and long rectangular tables. My friends and I sat in the middle most section of the room and nobody else sat at our table. KC, being new, didn’t know that the seat he was sitting in was mine. Not wanting to make another scene, I simply put my books down next to him and headed to the lunch line.
“Megan’s not going to like this guy at our table…What are we going to do? AJ and Chester already take up a bunch of space and I’m not sitting on the end of the table.” Ash was on a rant so I cut her off.
“Yeah but all of our skinny people share one side of the table. Besides the Rebel Dou*** and I aren’t friends, he probably already left.” Shrugging off the issue, I grabbed a lunch tray and scanned my school ID card, then waited for Ashanti to do the same. We went to our seats and I was pleased to see that KC had moved to the other end of the table. Soon our friends started showing up. As a group we were a bit more than twelve people. There were so many of us, sometimes it was hard to remember names.
“Why are people staring?” Megan hissed angrily as she sat next to Ash.
“Because some dude pissed Misti off.” Ashanti told her, “And he messed with her books.”
Megan rolled her green eyes as she started peeling the crust from her sandwich. Dylan, Pat, Chester and AJ sat across from us laughing about some inside joke they had. However, they quickly realized that something was up because us girls weren’t talking.
“Okay whats going on? What am I missing here?” Chester asked. He was a sophomore who had long wavy black hair that always looked greasy no matter how many times he’s washed it. Freckles dotted his cheeks and the bridge of his nose. Chester only had a slight weight issue, which we playfully teased him about.
“You guys really don’t notice everyone staring?” I asked, the boys were more clueless than usual today. Looking around I noticed people looking away from my gaze. Sure there was the normal babble of the lunchroom, but the stares just didn’t stop. My eyes rested on where KC had been sitting. I shrugged, maybe he left.
“Quite frankly, not everyone is staring at us.” Dylan stated matter-of-factly. His body was super thin and tall; which is why the gang often referred to him looking like a praying mantis. Dylan’s skin was a sickly pale color and his brown hair was cut short.
“Well a lot of people are.” Megan snapped, her eyes staying on her sandwich.
“There Chester, that text should explain everything.” Ash looked up at Chester. “Did you feel vibrations yet? I sent it a few minutes ago.” At the mention of the word ‘vibrations,’ AJ started to crack up. He was more like a hyena, just give him one thing to laugh about and he won’t stop laughing for a good few hours. AJ was inbetween Chester and Dylan with both his height and weight; and anytime he started laughing, his face will turn a turnip red. Whenever that boy laughed it was both entertaining and concerning at the same time.
“Oh dear God, why is AJ dying now?” Kat came up and sat on my other side, her friend Tanya sat next to her. Kat was one of the most kick ass friends I knew, and if I told her about what happened, she would probably hunt KC down. Sure her hair was dyed 5 different shades of purple, and she was a little skinny thing… But she can get pretty violent with her short temper.
“Ashanti mentioned something about vibrating.” I laughed, “can you tell if he’s breathing over there?” AJ was attempting to eat a sandwich that was half wrapped with plastic wrap while he was laughing uncontrollably. “Seriously, somebody take the sandwich from him, he could suffocate on the plastic.” Dylan took his sandwich from him and patted his back.
“Okay now just breathe, in… And out… C’mon man, calm yourself.”
“Why are we talking about vibrations?” Kat half spoke, half giggled at AJ’s laughter.
“I sent Chester a text about a fight Misti got into today…” Ash paused, “There just sent it to you too.”
“Please tell me you didn’t send them the picture too!” I groaned as I watched Chester reading the text he got.
“A fight?” Kat’s brown eyes narrowed at me. “What happened?”
“I’m sure Ash gave you a very overly detailed text.” I started to eat my lunch to avoid talking anymore.
“Hey,” Chester pointed to his phone, “Is this the same guy sitting behind you?” He kept his voice quiet, but at a volume where we could hear him. Ashanti turned around and pretended to take a look at the clock.
“Yep that’s him.” She agreed, her voice at the same volume.
“Oh my… I'm going to whoop his..." Kat was starting to get up but Tanya and I tugged her back down.
"Don't worry about it." I quickly stole a glance at KC. He was just sitting there listening to his i-pod and drawing in his sketchbook. I felt bad, the poor guy didn't have a lunch. When I got up to throw out my trash, I handed him an orange I didn't eat before making my way back to my seat. "Don't say anything!" I growled at Kat's expression.
“I don’t understand you. You fight with him and then you feed him…You know what they say, ‘If you feed them, they’ll keep coming back’.” Kat sighed and handed me her chocolate milk.
“Fine, then you go through the whole school day without eating.” I grumbled as I opened the small milk carton. Ashanti wasn’t looking so I came up with the brilliant idea to hold the milk by her shoulder to scare her. The boys watched with confused expressions.
“Misti, you shouldn’t…” Tanya’s warning came too late. From the corner of her eye, Ashanti had seen the milk and swung her arm to bat it away. The full carton of milk flew up into the air almost gracefully before spilling its contents on KC. The boys chorused with uncontrollable laughter as Ashanti and I gaped at the mess we made. Tanya was covering her mouth with shock and Kat was muttering something about how he deserved it.
“Guys…Ohmigod, we’ll be in so much trouble…” Megan’s face reflected fear, but she was laughing too.
“KC…I’m sorry it was an accident…I…” I was trying my best to give him my sincere apology, but when he turned around I couldn’t help but laugh. The chocolate milk had loosened his hair from the hedgehog effect and turned it more into a shaggy dog look. His eyeliner was running and his clothes were soaked. He looked like a miserable puppy who was sitting outside in the rain. People who had been staring at us didn’t miss this at all. They nudged their friends and pointed.
“Misti what the hell was that for?! Oh my God I feel so terrible now!” Ashanti cried out. Her voice was an apologetic laughter. It was my fault, so it was my responsibility to help him…I guess. Getting up from my spot, I took him by the arm and led him to the nurse’s office.
KC was tense and stiff but followed my lead. The nurse gave him a change of clothes from the lost and found and asked if he wanted to leave and go home early. The only reason why I stayed was because I felt guilty, this was my fault after all. Surprisingly the new guy shook his head and walked towards me. I stood up and we walked back to the cafeteria together.
“I’m really sorry…This must be a terrible first day for you…I’m sorry.”
The Rebel Dou*** ignored my apologies and grabbed his books from his seat before leaving the cafeteria. I turned back to my friends and sat, AJ was still laughing away. Kat had a smirk on her face and just shook her head.
“I feel so terrible!” I covered my face with my hands. “To yell at him is one thing, but to spill milk on the poor kid is just awful.”
“Hey…” Chester nudged my elbow and I looked up at him.
“What?”
“…There is no need to cry over spilled milk.”
“You’re an ass.”
Just then the bell rang and I had to start walking to study hall.

I only had three other classes with KC, which made me feel even guiltier because I had to continuously see him in the crappy lost and found clothes. But even with the hell I’ve gone through today I was still reluctant to go home. Nothing could compare to what I had to deal with there.

This book has 272 comments. Post your own now!

WOWritingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 11 at 4:56 pm
Wow... It's a bit slow at the beginning and I don't like Misti's sort of attitude at first but I love her now! And I love the story! It's great!

VanendraThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 10 at 8:25 pm
like The Social Class Beast on Facebook please <3

New Chapter Posted!!! :D

Ashanti said...
So if anyone has a question, just feel free to ask. :)

EternallyReading said...
I'm really enjoying this so far and I can not wait for the next chapters. I like how you threw in that little twist of him casting a spell. However it did feel abrupt. Maybe in the earlier chapters you could put little hints? Overall though I love it! Keep it up!   Also I was wondering if you could check out my story Shape Shifter's True Form...

ShyKarma replied...
loving the story, cant wait for more chapters!  

VanendraThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jan. 8 at 6:06 pm
well I just posted a bunch more chapters, I hope you enjoy them!!!! ^-^

Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:57 am
New Chapters Posted!!!!!!!!!!!! ^-^

Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:04 am
<3 To all of you impatient fans of this story: More chapters will be posted in a few weeks, so please hang tight... If you can't wait you can also read them on my deviantart...my username is Vanendra there too ^-^

LuvLife said...
I love how it is going so far. Yes, it needs some work but it's is great! I enjoy it. I know it is hard writing chapters, but I'm asking u pretty please with a cherry on top, to idk. Maybe create another chapter or so? Waiting is so dreadful when your reading a good book. Keep up with the good work!

Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:01 am
I will be posting a good chunk of chapters soon, I've recently been inspired and have about 6 chapters to add. So expect them to be posted in a few weeks. ^-^ I'm glad you like my story.

ShyKarma said...
I love this book cant wait for more chapters :)

Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:03 am
More chapters will be posted in a few weeks, so please hang tight... If you can't wait you can also read them on my deviantart...my username is Vanendra there too ^-^

RaisaMiri said...
YES! xD i can't wait!

SawrahAnn replied...
I've been reading your book for a while now and I can't help but keep looking to see for added chapters . The suspence is getting to me! Love your work!

Thank you!! I'm sorry I have so much school work to do, but don't worry, more chapters will be posted soon...Is it bad that I already started the sequel? xD

SawrahAnn replied...
Not at all! haha  I'd love to hear what you think of my book, if you have time check it out :) http://www.teenink.com/novels/realistic_fiction/book/105768/Infinita/

SawrahAnn replied...
Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:27 am
haha no, not bad at all. Check out my book, Infinita, I'd love to know what you think about it!

Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:14 am
I will as soon as I can, right now I'm busy with alot of art orders. ^-^

Nov. 6, 2012 at 9:26 am
New chapter up!!!! hope you all like it :D