A Life Through My Looking Glass

Author's note: This was also a piece for an English class. We had to write about social issues (mine was...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: This was also a piece for an English class. We had to write about social issues (mine was bullying). I hope you like it, please read!  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6

Epilouge

Epilogue

I was on summer break from my sophomore year in college. I was home and I decided to drive pass Delilah’s house. I was in my car going about thirty but it seemed like i was barely inching by at a snails pace. As I approached her house a wave of panic and sadness washed over me. I had been put on trial for murder, I got away without a scratch, thankfully, but it still makes me feel like a criminal every time I am around here. The car suddenly got ten degrees hotter and all of my limbs felt like jelly. I saw the tree that I had planted for her in her front yard, it had grown so fast. It was healthy and ripe with fruit. It was a peach tree, Delilah had always loved peaches, and I thought that it would be nice for her family to always have some around. I saw little Rosemary reading a book under that tree. She was eleven so she must have just finished fifth grade. She was so young, I had already put her through much more than any average middle aged person would have gone through. I made her grow up too fast. it was like she was asleep, oblivious to the terrible world around her. I woke her up before she was ready.

The promise ring that Vladimir had bought for Delilah maintained a permanent residence under that tree. I was so nice to see that things were still moving on. Even with Delilah gone. As I passed the Brooks’ house Rosemary looked up at me. I almost stopped the car right there. Her face was a mirror image of Delilah’s. I thought that it must be some sort of mind trick. That it was just something to make me believe that Delilah was still alive. That I was delirious, it must have been the heat. But I knew that it was Rosemary, there was no way it couldn’t be. I smiled at her then she waved back. In that moment a ray of sun filtered down onto the tree. And I knew that Delilah wasn’t really gone. She never would be. I forced her out of my life, but I knew she would live on in the hearts of others.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6