Safe and Sound

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3

Chapter 3-

I was right. I didn’t get any sleep that night. I heard Jenkins when he got up to get ready for work so I decided I’d greet him good morning. We’ve always called Jenkins “Old Man Jenkins” since we were little, but honestly he wasn’t too old he was in his mid-fifties right now. He worked as a pastor at the church Declan also goes to. We talked for a few minutes before he ran off. I watched TV until Declan woke up I heard him check my room and could hear his footsteps as he ran down the stairs as quickly as he could. He checked the kitchen for me first and yelled out, “Declan I’m in here!”
He walked to the living room and said, “Did you really have to scare me like that?”
“I didn’t know you’d freak out.”
“Sorry, I guess I’m paranoid.”
“You guess?”
“Okay, I am paranoid. I’m sorry I’m just worried about you.”
I nodded; I understood I couldn’t fall asleep last night because I was terrified that something might happen to me. Before I knew what I was saying I stated, “I want a therapist.”
Declan looked at me surprised that I said that. When I saw his look of surprise I knew I said that aloud. Declan nodded for a moment then said, “That’d probably be best for you.”
“Everywhere I turn I keep looking back to make sure that nobody is following me and I haven’t left this house. Declan, you don’t know how it feels for it to seem like everybody is just watching and waiting to attack…waiting to see you mess up again.”
“It’s not your fault that Bruce hit you.”
“I know, but it feels like it is.”
“Well get that feeling out of your system.”
I laughed and said, “I want to get out of here.”
“Rain, we talked about this you can’t leave this town yet.”
“I’m not talking about leaving this town I’m talking about just getting out of this house. I eventually have to face my fears.”
“Rain you can’t even walk up the stairs without wincing from the pain what makes you think you could walk around outside?”
“I don’t know Declan I just know if I stay here much longer I’m going to be scared to leave. I know this place is safe and I’m worried that eventually I’m going to get too scared to leave here.”
“How about you can come with me to church on Sunday? That’s in two days so you have a little bit more time to rest.”
I nodded and Declan knew that I was agreeing but just had no comment. Declan went into the kitchen to get us some left over pizza and I just sat there and thought: I was about to have to spread my wings and get out of my safe haven. Where everybody will wait and watch to see me mess up…again.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3