Collaboration: Bigger Than Me

Author's note: This is a collabortaion, if you would like to join in you can find us in the writers workshop...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: This is a collabortaion, if you would like to join in you can find us in the writers workshop section of the fourm under "A Line Game,"  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 6 7 8

Starting Over

Betty made steak and potatoes, Atom's favorite. All through out dinner Atom's phone kept going off, signaling that someone was messaging him. It got to the point were Atom didn't even look at his phone, he just turned it off. The family watched TV after dinner, by now even Zack's parents realized that Atom was quiet than usual.
Zack could tell something was wrong, the way Atom kept his eyes on the floor made him worry. He is thinking of something...I can tell. Zack says in his head. Zack shook
Last chapeter... please comment
a little from nervousness. I'll ask him what is bothering him when it's time for bed. He thought as he returns his gaze at the TV screen.
Talking to Atom was easier than he thought. Before he was about to talk Atom came up to him and hugged him. Tears were streaming down his face an he kept mumbling, “Thank you, thank you.”
Zack was surprised at this and hugged him back, “It's okay.”
”I love you, I love you so much, please, please don't leave me.” He was close to hysteria.
”Atom,” he didn't get to Finnish what he was going to say because Atom was kissing him desperately, still crying and shaking.
Zach pushed Atom back, wanting to know what was wrong. "Atom?" Zach asked but he held on tighter and Zach could feel his tears seeping through his clothes. "Atom!" Zach screamed this time demanding to know what was wrong and how he could help. Zach waited for Atom to calm down and when he heard the sniffling stop he asked again, "Atom?"
Zach heard him hesitate before responding. "Yes?" Atoms voice was thick with tears.
"You have to tell me how I can help."
”I can't tell you,” Atom said pulling back into the hug. ”Promise me even if this doesn't work out that you'll always be my friend.”
”Atom...”
”Promise.”
”I promise.”
Atom kissed him again. Zack finally caved pressing his tongue to Atom lips who let him in. Atom was withering in Zack's arm, whimpering when there tongues touched. They broke for air Zack's arms keeping him up. Atom slept next to him that night shaking and clinging to him. Atom calmed down after a bit of Zack holding him and fell into a calm sleep. Zack held him closely, he knew that Atom was on his last leg of sanity and had to find away to make it right before it was too late.
Zach was aware of everyone treating him and Atom like glass, as if any moment they must shatter. Betty let them skip school afraid they would be subject to "teasing" and she didn't want her two babies exposed to that. Zach saw Atom sometimes shiver if he thought no one was looking, he wondered what his secret could be and why he couldn't tell him. Zach also wondered what he and Atom where, their relationship was complicated even at the best of times.
Atom came out of his sleep to find Zack already awake, ”Morning,” he smiled.
“Morning” Zack answered kissing atom gently.
”What's wrong,” Atom asked feeling that something was wrong.
“It's just... What are we? Are we boyfriends or...”
“Do you want to be?” Atom perked up looking excited.
Zack could only stare in awe at the way Atom's eye sparkled, “I don't know, if your ready for a relationship yet, you're still healing.” Atom's face fell a bit, “I do want to be with you, but when your better.”
”You make me feel better, when I'm with you I don't feel depressed. You make me feel happy.” Atom leaned up and kissed him, “I want to be with you.”
”We can try,” Zack said realizing that there was no way to argue with Atom when he was giving him that look, besides the smile Atom gave him also gave him hope for the whole situation. When they went down to breakfast even Betty and Danny could tell that they were in good moods
Zach was wondering even more about Justin now and seeing Betty and Danny exchange glances started to ruin his mood. His smile faded as he felt a speech coming on and he finally could no longer stand the tension. “What" Zach asked startling his parents and Atom. Zach watched as Betty and David stared holes through it head driving him insane, they finally nodded after what seemed like hours. "We wanted to talk to you about our family"
“We know that there has been a lot going on lately but, we wanted to let you know that things will work out.” Betty said.
“What about Justin,” Zack asked.
“He's fine,” Atom said, “He's the favorite of the family don't ask me why but he is.” Atom said bitterly.
Betty nodded,” And as for me and your dad we'll do what we can to make it work for you guys.” Atom just started to get up from the table not really worried about things. ” You guys get ready for school.” Betty said.
Zack nodded going upstairs to change. He ended up in just a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. He look at the mirror and smiled at himself, the bags under his eyes were fading and he was looking healthier.
” Hey,” Atom smiled at Zack who was shocked by what Atom was wearing, or more so how good he looked in it.
“Wow...” Was all he could say.
”I know, when your mom first picked it out I didn't like it but I think I wear it a well.”
Zack smiled, “You do,” they kissed quickly, “come on, if we don't hurry we'll be late.” Atom suddenly looked...he wasn’t sure what it was but it as if he was happy.
Zach was looking forward to seeing Atom at lunch but was surprised when he wasn't in the cafeteria. Zach was concerned but knew it probably wasn't a big deal and would see him later. When Zach walked into his house a few hours later he immediately called out for Atom. Atom hadn't been on the bus and Zach had thought maybe he skipped out. "Atom!" Zach called again louder. "Atom!!!!" Zach screamed walking into his bedroom. He saw the folded up piece of paper on his night stand and his heart dropped to the floor. He catiously picked it up and wondered if he had to read it. Zach opened the paper slowly and exhaled a large breath he hadn't known he'd been holding when nothing looked suspicious.
Dear Zach,
I truly am sorry I had to leave this way, but Karman told me I couldn't stay any longer.
Zach wondered what Karman had to do with this.
I know how much you wanted to save her and I am sorry to say she's gone......I wish I could have done something to help but that wasn't my job.
Job? Thought Zach, who was Atom?
I suppose I should explain, you see our parents did have an affair but your the child...not Justin. I was created to watch over you and at first I took on the form of Kimmy
KIMMY!?! Atom was Kimmy?
Karman didn't realize until it was too late and I had to take on a new body. So I took over Atoms and became your best friend and somewhere along the way fell in love with you...
Zach slammed the letter shut without finishing and watched as it dropped to the floor. He held his head as he sat down and tried to comprehend what he had just learned.
Zack was pretty sure that Atom wasn't coming back and sooner or later he would have to explain everything to his parents. So he went to the one place he could think, the lake. To his surprise he saw Atom sitting there, “Atom?”
Atom turned and looked at him his face to pale and his blue eyes in a panic, “ZACK RUN!!!”
Zack was to shocked to do anything and by the time he turned around Kimmy was standing behind him.. ”Kimmy you scared me”
”RUN!!!” Atom yelled, “SHE'S GOING TOO KILL YOU!!” Zack turned around and saw Kimmy holding a knife. Before he could comprehend it he felt something collide with his face causing everything to spin. But through all of this he was able to see Kimmy grin as she pulled the knife back and lunged forwards. Then he was on the ground with Atom on top of him, arm bleeding, he must of taken the hit for him.
“Why are you doing this Kimmy!?” Zack yelled.
”IT'S KARMAN!!” the girl yelled, “ why am I doing this you ask? because you killed me! It was your idea to go to the stuoid lake to begin with and because of you I hit my head and drowned. They were never even able to get my body out of the water, and because of that I couldn’t be put the rest. I’m still drowning under there.” She laughed cruelly “You really think I came back to help you? I bet you thought the note was real too. There was never an affair between our family. I possessed mom and Atom to get you here. And you believed it. ”
“I'm sorry Kimmy”
“No you’re not, you’re just sorry because you don’t want to die, I thought you said you wanted ‘if you could redo it that you would take my place,” She mocked “Well here’s your chance, you die and I’ll take you body and live,” She smirked at the look on their terrified faces, “Or do you not want to die anymore because you have Atom. I was in love with him and then he told me that he was in with you. And then the moment I’m out of the picture you guys get all buddy buddy with each other. If you just reject him we wouldn’t be going through this. Atom’s dad would of just beat him to death and being the sneaky person he is, taken him out with the rest of the trash. Then Atom wouldn’t have a proper resting place and he would wonder the world with me for eternity.”
“Karmen, you don’t have to do this.”
“Of course I don’t, I want to, and I can’t even go to jail for this, everyone is just going to think that poor Atom and Zack couldn’t take it anymore and decided to kill themselves in the woods.”
“Karman,”
“Did you know that I’ve been drowning this whole time,” she snickered, “My soul isn’t gone therefore my body is forced to suffer. Do you know how much water your lungs can take in before they burst, I do.”
“You’re body’s still alive,”
“Kind of, if I go back I’ll just be stuck in it until it decays, but I’m not going back there. And don’t get any smart ideas, I’m going to kill you.” she smiled gleefully, Atom lunged at her there was a bit of a struggled before he managed to get her back into the lake. “Help,” she cried out struggling to come up which was weird because Karman was a strong swimmer.
A hand broke the surface pale and swollen with water, another followed grabbing her by her neck and dragging her under, “Help me,” she pleaded. Zack did go to reach for her, compelled to help his baby sister but Atom holds him back. She was now screaming and cursing as her body dragged her back down. Her head went under the water that was still moving violently showing some kind of stuggle, then everything went still a few bubbles coming up to break the surface but eventually those stopped too.
Atom glanced at Zack, “Are you okay?” ” Yes, Atom your arm is bleeding.”

~.~.~.~.~

Yet again they found themselves at the hospital, Atom made up a lie about cutting himself in order to not have to explain what happened to Zack's mom. ”I can't believe that she was trying to kill us.” Zack said once they were alone. Atom nodded leading on Zack's shoulder.
“Do you think we can start over?” Atom asked, “so much has ha happened for the wrong reason and...”
”I get what you're saying,” Zack ran his hands through Atom's hair lovingly, “But I'm not sure if start over is the right term. Move on from what happened but there between us isn't something we should forget.”
Atom smiled kissing Zack on the cheek, “Alright. Oh yeah... I finally read that note that Justin gave me from my mom.”
“Really, what did it say?”
“She apologized for not being the mom I needed and not being brave enough to leave my dad when things got bad... Then she said she loved me even though I was gay and that she hoped that I found happiness.” Atom was tearing up at this point. Zack held him close kissing his hair and rubbing his back. Atom kissed him. Zack kissed him back pushing him down so they were lying side by side facing each other.
”I love you.” Zack managed too say between kisses.
”I love you too.” Atom smiled into the kiss. And it gave them both hope that things will get better.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 6 7 8

This book has 2 comments. Post your own now!

Surobhi_Moitrayee said...
Feb. 29, 2012 at 4:12 am
Quite interesting...keep writing :)

Collaborations replied...
Mar. 23, 2012 at 7:37 am
Thank you, we thank you :)