Of Happiness

Author's note: I wish people who read this short novel get a chance to think about what it means to be happy.
Author's note: I wish people who read this short novel get a chance to think about what it means to be happy.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Next »

1.

The alley glowed blue on cold, moonlit nights. At the end of it, there was a small exit through which the splendid city lights entered. This was the “sky” as we cats called it: this lovely alley illuminated by shimmering blue and yellow lights and so entirely ours, for only we could slip through the tiny entrance. Our houses were raised up high and spacious. There was always plenty to eat. The cardboard boxes lined up on the sides of the alley and the foul-smelling trashcans were our playground and home. My house was at the very end, bathing in the pale spotlight, on the top of the boxes stacked up high and stocked with food. All this was just for me. This pampered lifestyle was the privilege of being the leader of the cats.
Yes. I was the leader of the sky, a place dotted on by hopefuls. Moreover I had a special name by which others addressed me, a title of sorts. I was the “sky chief.” I was the leader who enjoyed all the perks and exercised the greatest power in the city. However, all this had its costs, as I was required to be responsible for every plan of action, to take care of every cat, and to live in endless rivalry and envy.
I did not know where I was born. I was brought to this life with no background. I had neither a name nor a family. I opened my eyes to find myself in this alley, abandoned in front of the foul-smelling trashcan. And yet, ever since this inglorious beginning, I was already a leader. Before I could understand and feel the warmth of friendship, I was thrown into a pit of responsibilities.
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Next »

This book has 1 comment. Post your own now!

Seyoung K. said...
this is definitely awesome! it makes me think so much about life