Running Roads

Author's note: I thought of this novel, and randomly decided to start writing. My inspiration comes from my...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I thought of this novel, and randomly decided to start writing. My inspiration comes from my mind..., and that's why I am writing it.

I hope you all get that you can't run away from situations. You have to deal with it, because most likely you'll end up in a worse situation.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

Chapter Four

I decide on a black and white dress with a white bow on the front, and white sandals. Since my hair is done, all I have to do is makeup my face.

Going into the bathroom, I grab my makeup bag and pull out my mascara, eyeshadow and eyeliner. I use blue eyeshadow and black eyeliner. After I finish my face off with some lip balm, I walk out into the livingroom where Xavier is waiting for me. "Ready to go?" I ask, stepping in front of him.

"Yea. You up for Red Robins?"

I nod my head. "Sure."

Xavier stands up and leads the way out of the apartment. We both head down the stairs and over to his car. He pops the locks and I slide into the passenger seat. He then gets into the driverseat and starts up the car. "Do you mind if my friends join us? Michelle and Andrew are cool."

I shift my gaze over to him and frown. "Do you mean...we can see your friends who know I'm underage, but I can't see my best-friend who knows I am underage?" I let out a sarcastic laugh and slap my leg, frustrated. I turn my head towards the window and wind it down until it creaks because I am pressing down on the button to hard.

"Relax. Your friends are connected to your parents...that's why."

"Okay, but she won't tell!" I exclaim.

Xavier's jaw tenses. "Listen, just know that I said no. No question, so stop bringing it up, Maria." He says, pressing the gas. The car jerks forward and I slam into the dashboard roughly. "You okay?" He glances over at me, without stopping the car.

I ignore him instead, and grab my seatbelt and snap it shut. Through the entire ride, I ignore every conversation attempt of Xavier's. When we finally pull up in the Red Robins parking lot, I unbuckle, open the door and step out.

Shutting the door behind me, I head towards te restaurant's entrance, but am quickly snatched back by Xavier. I spin around to face him, snatching my arm away. "Don't grab me." I snap.

He sucks his tooth, trying not to react, and takes a deep breath. "What the hell is wrong with you? Don't embarrass me." He pulls the door open and ushers me through, not saying anything else. I press my lips together.

Why is this reminding me so much of when I was living with my parents.

"Hey, bro." A tall, tanned guy walks up and slaps hands with Xavier. He has brown ruffled hair, green eyes and a pretty smile. He is wearing cargo shorts and a graphic tee with a jean jacket. He also has on a snapback hat and diamond earring in his ear.

A pretty woman is standing next to him. She has black hair, like mines, pulled up in a ponytail and green eyes. She has three piercings in each of her ears, and a nose ring. She is wearing black leggings, a long cut-off shirt, and boot sandals. Bangles dance down her arm and an engagement ring dances on her ring finger. "Hey, Xavier." She waves, but doesn't make a move to give him a hug.

When their eyes focus in on me, Xavier motions toward me. "This is Maria. Maria, this is Michelle and Andrew." He says, pulling me towards him.

"Hi." I mutter, throwing my hand up for exaggeration.

After they say hello to me, Xavier and Andrew both walk over to the Walk-In counter to get a table for us four. Michelle's eyes linger on me, and when I look over at her, she has a pretty smile lingering on her lips. "You are young. How old are you, Maria?"

I bite my lip, not knowing what Xavier told them.

"It's okay. I won't tell, Xavier told us you will be eighteen in a year."

"Oh...no, I'm sixteen now. I'll be eighteen in two years." I brush my hair behind my ear and look over at Xavier who is in deep conversation with Andrew. "You look young, too, by the way."

Michelle laughs, "Oh. Thanks for the compliment...and I'm twenty-three. I know you were dying to ask." She exclaims, "How're you and Xavier's relationship going?"

"Fine. He's really sweet...but," I pause for a second, wondering if I should ask about his anger problems. Deciding not too, I shake my head. "Nevermind." Michelle looks at me with curiosity in her eyes, but she doesn't press on. "Uh - are you are Andrew getting married? Or...married already?"

She looks over at Andrew. "Oh, no! I am engaged to my boyfriend, Zach."

My eyes widen. "Is Zach a home school teacher?" I cross my eyebrows. That is such a coincidence. Michelle nods her head, and I smile. "He's my home school teacher. Xavier hired him to teach me, since I can't go to regular school anymore." I mumble the last part.

"Why not?"

I shake my head. "If they catch me and Xavier, he is going to jail. And my mom and dad would most likely stake out there...and my teachers and principle are blabbermouths." I say, leaning back on the wall.

"Oh...I understand. You don't think it's wrong?" She asks, crossing her arms. I glance behind her, and Xavier and Andrew are still over at the counter. "I mean...dating a twenty-two year old at sixteen? That's illegal, but we haven't told because Xavier is like a brother to us."

"I mean, we are in love. You can't help love, but yes, I guess it is wrong." I pause for a second to think about it, "I don't understand. Adults can be five to ten years apart in age, but a teen usually only goes three to five, and we are in trouble. It doesn't make since."

Michelle nods her head. "You're right. Zach is three years older than me, so it was like that when I was sixteen. He was nineteen, and I went through the exact thing you're going through." She pinches the bridge of her nose. "We got caught by mom parents, but they never knew his whole name or age, so we both skipped town. At first I regretted it...but then eventually, he proposed." She breaks out into a huge grin.

"That's sweet. I left home at night...my mom was just lecturing me about something stupid. But I was planning running away about a month prior. So I did not get caught."

"That's good. Have you spoken to your parents?"

"No...but I don't want, too. But I doubt that Xavier would let me. He won't even let my sister slash best-friend come over! He was hesistant to even let me talk to her over webcam."

Michelle sighs. "Damn." She bites her lip and looks out the window behind me, as if she wanted to say something. "He's overprotective of you. Listen...here." She reaches in her purse and grabs a piece of paper. Next she takes out a pen and scribbles on the paper. Handing it to me, a number is scrawled over it in neat handwriting. "Call me if anything goes...wrong. I'm pretty sure it won't, but sometimes he can get...a little. Rough." She mumbles.

"Oh."

Before we can say anything else, Xavier is wrapping his arm around me and pulling me towards an empty table for four. I quickly stuff the piece of paper in my dress pocket. Xavier pulls out a chair for me and I smile a thank you, and sit down. Xavier sits across across from me, and Andrew and Michelle does the same pattern.

"It took forever just to get this table cleared." Hisses Andrew, looking up at the waitress who is heading towards us. She has her brunette hair pulled up in a tight bun, and she has one pink lipstick and a little pink blush. She is wearing black pants and a white shirt with the Red Robins signature picture on it.

"Sorry for the wait. Can I start you all off with a drink?" She asks, pulling out her notepad. "Oh, I am your waitress, Erykah by the way."

I nod my head and glance at the menu. "Can I just have some Pink Lemonade."

"Same here." Michelle says, glancing over her menu.

Xavier bites his lip and taps his fingers on the table, "Okay...can I just have Cherry Coke?" He looks up and Erykah is scribbling our orders on the notepad. Andrew scans over his menu somemore before raising up his head.

"I'll take a Beer." He grumbles, not batting an eyelash.

Once the waitress scribbles that down, she dashes away. Michelle raises an eyebrow at Andrew, "I see you're very hungry, Mister." She grins, flipping through her menu. Andrew shoots her a shut up glare. "Gee, angry much?"

"Michelle." He sighs, "Just hush for a second." He forces a fake grin.

"What? Waitress didn't give you the time of day?" She teases, reaching across the table and poking Andrew in his chest. "Stop being a wimp."

Xavier chokes back a laugh, "I haven't heard anybody say wimp since five years ago, Chele."

"Well you just did." Michelle laughs.

I reach in my pocket and pull out my cell phone. It is blinking with two messages from Maddie. I reply back telling her that I am out to eat, and then replace my phone in my pocket. Looking up, Xavier is staring at me. "When did you get your phone back?"

"Oh...well, I met up with Maddie and she gave it to me."

"Where did you meet up with Maddie?"

I glance over at Michelle, who's face just became serious, and then over at Andrew who is ignoring this whole conversation. I suck my tooth, trying to delay an answer, but Xavier's eyes show it all. He is getting pissed. "Uhm...not to far from the house." I mutter.

"You're lying."

"No, I am-"

"She came over, didn't she?" He grunts, closing his menu. I nod my head and I can see Xavier's face turn beet red. Michelle touches my arm softly and shakes her head. "I told you not to give her the address, Maria."

"I didn't." I snap, crossing my arms. "When I was on video call with her, she saw the Apartment's name in the background out the window I guess...and she asked the person downstairs where Xavier lived."

"So she knows my name...huh?"

"No. I just told her your first name." I mumble.

We are cut off from our argument when the waitress sets my drink down in front of me. She then places everyone else's' drink down on the table. "Can I help you all with anything to eat right now?"

"Can I just have the Cheeseburger? No mayo or onions." I brush a loose piece of hair out of my face. After she grabs all of the orders, she leaves once more. "You know what...I'll be right back." I slide out of my chair, refusing to make eye contact with Xavier. I know he is super pissed, but I'll deal with that later.

"I'll come with." Michelle says, standing up next to me.

"Why do girls always go to the bathroom together?" Andrew asks, chuckling.

Without a response I head towards the bathroom around the corner with Michelle on my heels. I push open the bathroom door and stop at the mirror. My face is twisted up with worry, not knowing what is going through Xavier's head.

"Are you okay, hun?" Michelle asks, standing next to me. She turns on the water and pours some soap into her hand from the soap dispenser. "You look worried."

"He is getting so mad. How come?" I ask, turning towards her.

Michelle takes a deep breath and sighs. "I don't know. He has always been like that since we were little. Hot-headed. So be careful what you do or say, or else he can blow up." She says, sticking her hands under the dryer. "Has he ever physically hurt you?"

"No...he grabbed me once or twice. But that really didn't bother me."

"Well...like I said, ever need help or to vent, call me. My place is always open. Xavier is really sweet and a good boy, just hot-headed. I have no idea how he became like that, but he is." She pauses. "I think he really likes you, but he has a problem with getting heartbroken...maybe that is what he is afraid of."

"Oh, never!" I stutter out. "I know he is sweet, but when I first moved into his house, it's like he got angry at me when I asked to call Maddie." I begin to wash my hands after a moment of quietness. "I think we should go back..." I mutter, grabbing a paper towel and drying my hands off.

Without another word, Michelle and I head back to the table. Xavier and Andrew are laughing at something as we sit back down. "You okay?" Xavier asks, reaching across the table and grabbing my hand.

"Yea, thanks."
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

This book has 1 comment. Post your own!

Naomi__ said...
OMG! This is ah-may-zing! <3 You are a wonderful writer, pleaseeeee finish. :)