Cardinair

Author's note: I wrote this a while ago. It's not completely revised and the spelling and grammar may be...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I wrote this a while ago. It's not completely revised and the spelling and grammar may be horrible. But I'd really like for people who are intrested to read it and to help me out. IT IS ONLY A PEICE OF THE ACTUAL NOVEL, IF YOU'D LIKE TO READ MORE LeT mE NoW:)  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 19 Next »

Chapter Five

Bristal called it a night and headed towards the back of his fort after we took turns saying our goodbyes. Ava and I sit near the entrance of the fort. It was dark outside and the fort was lit with several balls of burning light that hung from the tall ceiling. "So Bristal really saved your life?" I asked casually.
She smiles and says, "That's how we met and became such good friends."
"Lucky him." She blushes with the remark. I look away. "It's kind of like when you saved my life."
“Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind; And therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.” –William Shakespeare
When I turn back to her she looks puzzled. I laugh at her cute expression, "From the elders, remember?"
Her mouth makes a small O and she nods her head.
"Thank you." I say. "For everything. You've been kind when you don't have to be."
"You're truly welcome." She says shyly. I sigh, wishing I could stay right here forever but, knowing it's amiss.
"There are so many things I want to know about you." I say in a whisper, mostly to myself. Ava drops her eyes to the ground and her cheeks turn crimson once again. "You shouldn't know too much." She said underneath her breath.
"Why would you say that?"
"It's not balanced.”
I stare at her until she explains further.
"I guess what I’m trying to say is...You’re not meant to be here. This isn't your world, it's mine. You shouldn't know too much about me or my world .It would throw everything off balance, don't you agree?"
"I think it's all ready off balanced. I'm not supposed to be here, but yet I am. Maybe, this happened for a reason. Maybe I’m supposed to know about you and your world. Like you said earlier, why me? Maybe....I am destined to."
She pondered on that for a minute. "Maybe. If your destiny was to die here. Eventually it would get around to someone that a being has arrived and they will come after not only you but, me as well."
My stomach dropped. I couldn't let that happen." If there was any chance that we could beat them or, outrun them even." She went on." Then I would ask you to stay."
"How would it get around to them?" I whisper.
"Everything in Cardinair can speak. Everything with the gift of life can talk to one another, including the trees." She looked out towards the entry. "But, their on our side ...for now."
I nod. "You said I wasn't the first human being here?"
"You aren’t. His name was Isaac. He arrived here many years ago and his life ended in a tragedy." She dropped the story. I could tell she didn't want to share it with me.
I look into her eyes and they are clear of emotion. "I’m leaving soon." I said. It wasn't a question.
"Yes." She looks away.
I shook my head. "It's for the best." I stare at the girl from my countless dreams. How could I leave her? I was going to have to try. I wouldn't be the death of her.
She looked back up at me. "We need to leave, now."
I stood up slowly and she followed. She looks up at me and with one swift movement; she wraps her arms around my waist, hugging me tight.
She doesn’t let go of me until after she transports us to the top of the watchmen tower.” It was nice to meet a human."
I laugh half heartily. "It was nice to meet a witch."
I hoped to spend some time in the future with her but that would never happen.
We wouldn’t see each other again. But, I would see her in my dreams.
"I wish I could stay for only a little while longer." I say without thinking.
She looks down, hiding her expression. "I better go."
What? I didn't want her to go.
"Goodbye Larson." She turns away.
"Wait!"
She turns back around and smiles a bright a beautiful smile in my direction. De JA vu. That was the exact picture I saw for nights on end. This moment was what my dreams had been about. The dreams were always so lovely and intriguing. This wasn't. It was a goodbye. A goodbye that I clearly didn’t want. I gather my thoughts and try to think of something to say.
“Goodbye Ava." Was all I came up with.
Her smile brightens and then, she was gone.
"See you in my dreams." I whisper. I walk closer to the edge of the tower and look down at the land of Cardinair. I see what all I’ve seen in my endless dreams. Everything is familiar but, everything is renewed. In my dreams, the pictures had been unclear; like I was looking at them through a single slate of stained glass. But, now I was actually here and it is all perfectly clear.
The beauty of this world is hard to explain. It is impossible to explain, rather. Everything is completely indescribable to a certain extent. Take something you think is the most beautiful thing in the world...Or even in your imagination. Times that by a thousand. That wouldn't even compare to the beauty of what I am seeing.
I look up to the heavens and see marvelous creatures that don’t exist in my world. They look like the one creature that made sure I had a safe landing yesterday morning. No one would believe me if I told them about my experiences here. So, I wouldn't tell anyone. I desperately wanted to prove to Will that I was right and completely sane but, if there was a chance in him believing me, I wouldn't want him coming here. I wouldn't put him or the creatures like Ava in that kind of danger. When I get home, would I believe in my own experiences in this other world? I wasn't sure. But, the good thing is I believe it now.
It is hardly fair that I have to leave now when I have barely got to see anything this world contained. I did see the most magnificent and most beautiful thing ever to exist, and for that I was grateful. I suppose I would see her in my dreams. But, that would be different. It wouldn't be her, just a picture of her; a picture that I would keep forever.
I don’t want to leave. Not now. But, I have to. It is for the best. I sit down and put my head between my knees. I shut my eyes to rest them.
All I could see was her face. That's all I wanted to see. I made sure to memorize every detail of the flawless perfection behind my eyelids. I would never lose her. I was sure that she would always be in my dreams; night and day.
I open my eyes and look up; I’m at the clock tower. I stand up quickly and look down. Everything here looks trashy and grey compared to Cardinair. But, I suppose anything would in comparison. I wasn't entirely sure what to think, so I didn't. I decided to pretend as if nothing ever happened. Mainly so I won’t be tempted to revisit Cardinair and risk her life once again. I refused to put her in danger anymore. I barely knew her; but it crushed me to leave her.
I walk down the many flights of stairs down to the first floor, not bothering to take the elevator. I walk slowly home; when I get there, I crash onto my bed and pass out with exhaustion. I sleep dreamlessly.