Home > Novel (Fiction) > Other Novels > Romeo and Juliet--A Parody

Romeo and Juliet--A Parody

CarrieAnn13
Romeo and Juliet--A Parody
Summary: Juliet Capulet is just your average teenage girl until a chance meeting at a community dance changes her life forever. She meets Romeo Montague, who immediately starts stalking her, claiming they are meant to be together. For Juliet, this is just too much; she calls the police. How did such a story inspire the great William Shakespeare? It's not how you think!

Medina D. said...
Jun. 21, 2011 at 10:38 am:
Hi Carrie :) i loved the humor in this story, though i noticed how each chapter got shorter and shorter. I wished the story was longer. I noticed 1 or 2 spelling mistakes also. But overall, i DID like this parody :)

Medina D. replied...
Jun. 22, 2011 at 11:15 am :
i only found 2. Favourite (i wasnt sure if you meant to spell it that way) and i THOUGHT you spelled nobly wrong but I was wrong. I'm sorry :S

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jun. 22, 2011 at 7:12 pm :
That's okay.  But Medina, I'm Canadian (eh?).  Up here we spell 'favorite' 'favourite.'  It's you Americans that keep spelling it wrong! ;)

Sweet_DeceitThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 18, 2011 at 3:59 pm:

Ahahahaha, this is just classic, and in the most original way, haha! Very amusing. I agree with introducingshelby that the dialogue is wonderful, and the whole concept is so new!

The only criticism I have is that it seems to get off to a shaky start, and some of the action seems plain and forced. 'Course, I can see how an avid reader of Romeo and Juiet would see it differently, but to someone who's pretty much just aquainted with the basis of the story, I ju... (more »)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jun. 18, 2011 at 4:03 pm :
Thanks for the comment, Sweet_Deceit.  I know, my parody is a little random, but that's just my kind of quirky humour.  Thank you for the criticism too; I'll definitely keep it in mind next time I write.

Tink1350 said...
Jun. 18, 2011 at 1:40 pm:
Great job. this is HILARIOUSLY WRITTEN and i love the polt. Shakesphere following them and writing the story is really interesting. And I was wondering ifnyou could read and rate and comment on my book please!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jun. 18, 2011 at 2:02 pm :
Thanks for the comment, Tink1350!  And sure, I'll read, rate and comment on your book.

introducingshelby said...
Jun. 16, 2011 at 9:44 pm:
The dialouge that you've written in this novel.. it's HILARIOUS. I love the way it plays out, and the plot is really, really clever. I'm still yet on the first chapter, and I haven't any suggestions yet! Thumbs up c:

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jun. 16, 2011 at 9:47 pm :
Thanks, introducingshelby!  I really appreciate the time you're taking to read my novel.  And yes, I like to think my dialogue is the best part of the novel. :)

ChelzRulz said...
Jun. 14, 2011 at 1:26 pm:
I love it!!!  I thought it was so creative especially how Shakespeare is watching- so clever!  Also, love modern teenage era twist .  The only thing I'd say is to make your sentences stronger- more characterization too.  Great job!  I enjoyed it :)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jun. 14, 2011 at 4:25 pm :

Thanks, Chelzrulz!  I appreciate the time you took to read my novel. 

I know my characterization wasn't very strong (I did write this in only five hours) and in the future I'll fix that.  But how do you think I should make my sentences stronger?

ArgonElement replied...
Jul. 5, 2011 at 11:46 am :
First time I ever saw Romeo being creepy. Awesome!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 5, 2011 at 1:30 pm :
Thanks! :)  Romeo isn't creepy in the original, but he comes off that way to the modern reader.

musicalmolly said...
Jun. 11, 2011 at 9:46 am:

Hilarious! If this was the version of Romeo and Juliet that we read in my English 1 class, I would have enjoyed it much more. I like your idea of not describing them to have people keep their original image. The beginning was a little confusing to me, and I only caught on when you told us who the mysterious stranger was in the shrubs (William Shakespeare). I didn't understand the Miranda and Betty part until you explained it in the comments. That was very clever of you. And I liked the whole ... (more »)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jun. 11, 2011 at 2:17 pm :
Thanks so much, musicalmolly!  I appreciate the time you took to read my novel and I apologize for the Shakespeare parts being confusing, but this was my very first submission.  I wish they had kept the italic format I had.

musicalmolly replied...
Jun. 11, 2011 at 3:02 pm :
For a first submission, I thought it was excellent! Yeah, if it was in Italics, I might have been able to follow along. And granted, I did read this earlier in the morning, so I might not have been completely functional yet. Hahaha :)

AvengedJasonfoldForever said...
Jun. 10, 2011 at 10:20 pm:

J7X Feedback: you asked for it!

I used to call this simon feedback but J7X is only 3 letters and I am lazy. However one thing that I am very incredibly passionate about is comedy and I've studied the art of satire to the point where I actually taught a 12th grade honors english class how to write a good satire after my "high school survival guides" caused a stir... 

all credibility aside I think this story shows promise for you as a writer but not necessarily a satirist. I ... (more »)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jun. 11, 2011 at 12:27 am :

Thanks for taking the time to read my novel, AvengedJasonfoldForever.  I really appreciate your criticism as well.

But I would like to point out that I did emphasize character traits, at least in some characters.  Romeo, for example, was sort of a creepy stalker in the original play.  For my novel, I made him a real stalker.

I don't particularly enjoy writing comedy and I know I'm not particularly good at it either.  This was my first and likely last attempt ... (more »)

AvengedJasonfoldForever replied...
Jun. 11, 2011 at 9:53 am :

If you don't enjoy writing something then why bother?

And if you look at Shakespeare's characterization of Romeo, nothing about him is supposed to be creepy. A modern audience might see his actions as creepy, but since the other characters--especially Juliet don't see them as creepy, he isn't a creep. He's an exaggerated young lover and so is Juliet. They're both comedic characters. But you interpreting him as a creeper can work in a parody, but in order to do that you'd have to make h... (more »)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jun. 11, 2011 at 2:14 pm :

1.  I bothered to write it for an English assignment, then I posted it on Teen Ink just to see what other people thought of it.  It was a kind of "Whatever, I'll see how this goes" moment.

2.  You definitely have a point about the characterization.

3.  Excuse me for shuddering, but I am terrible at writing romances.  The thought of writing one makes me ill, actually.  I really don't like Twilight, so I'm not sure if that comparison is a compl... (more »)

AvengedJasonfoldForever replied...
Jun. 11, 2011 at 11:06 pm :

I see what you're saying. I didn't like Twilight either--never finished the book but I could tell she's a good writer. (I saw the first movie so I'm scarcely familiar with it)

I suggested romance because I was under the impression that since you were trying to satirize a "romance" and since many elements of your style reminded me of authors like Laurie Halse Anderson who write books about how much it sucks to be in high school (and that includes a lot of romance) but let's be real, I s... (more »)