Home > Novel (Fiction) > Other Novels > Romeo and Juliet--A Parody

Romeo and Juliet--A Parody

Romeo and Juliet--A Parody
Summary: Juliet Capulet is just your average teenage girl until a chance meeting at a community dance changes her life forever. She meets Romeo Montague, who immediately starts stalking her, claiming they are meant to be together. For Juliet, this is just too much; she calls the police. How did such a story inspire the great William Shakespeare? It's not how you think!

This book has 208 comments. Post your own now!

Megan.J.B said...
I liked the ideas, and there were many times when I found myself almost laughing and yet, there was a very unhuman element to the story. Yes, there was comedy, but all other emotions were non-existant and the dialogue was fairly forced. I do regard comedy highly though, it's something not everyone has the ability to do :)
CarrieAnn13 replied...
I know.  Thanks for your honest opinion, though.
MrPain said...

I very much enjoyed this parody. Being able to make people laugh is a woefully under apriciated skill.

I also loved William Shakeseare in this story, I know very few writers that can pull of a good intrusive narrator.

As far as criticism goes, you have some formatting issues. It kind of took me out of the story when I had go back and look at the line "lover boy's on TV" before realizing it was supposed to be a text. Try using a different font or bolding/italisizing it when writi... (more »)

CarrieAnn13 replied...

MrPain, as much as I would love to fix the formatting issues, I can't.  Copying and pasting your work takes away any italics or bolds (and different fonts) that you originally had in your work.  This happened to me because this novel was my first submission.  Shakespeare's part was originally in italics and the texts were Arial Bold.  Alas, formatting issues.

Thanks for the feedback!

Danealle said...

hahaha! I love this! The blending of modern day speech with old english was done nicely.

I just think it could flow a little better and some more detail. 

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thanks for reading my parody! :)
IncorrectlyWired said...
Okay, I was reading this in a library and had to try hard not to laugh out loud. It was a really funny take, and I loved that a time-travelling Shakespeare was inspired by something completely off. My only complaint would be, her reactions to his creepyness weren't quite strong enough in my opinion. Also, her boyfriend's reactions were almost non-existant, and some of the dialogue seemed dead/ forced. But overall, I loved this. It was really good.
CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thanks!  I'm glad you enjoyed my parody. :)
Rosaa said...
I loved reading your parody! I think this is more entertaining than the original version which we had to read in freshman English this year(= but I was a little confused with the change of characters from Juliet to William Shakespeare - at first, I thought Will was Romeo and then when I read more, I realized who it was. But overall, great job! You're a great writer. ;)
CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thanks for the comment, Rosaa!  I'm glad you enjoyed my parody.  My apologies for not making the POV switch clear, but this was my first submission.  Again, thanks!
TwinnBears27 said...
Very nice story. It was both amusing and dramatic, and it flowed nicely.
CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thank you! :)
DarklyLight said...
Congradulations, CarrieAnn13!  You're the 4th Most Discussed novels.  Wow.  I might have to try your method of doing that.  You're my hero!  Great story, by the way.
CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thanks, DarklyLight!  My method of gaining comments is quite mercenary, but it works. ;)  Thanks for reading my novel!
BorderlineGenius777 said...
a very enjoyable story!
CarrieAnn13 replied...
Thanks, BorderlineGenius777!  I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)
siddielee said...
Jul. 1, 2011 at 9:27 am
I like it alot I would actually buy this if it was an actual book :-)  Good job on this book your very creative 
CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 1, 2011 at 10:43 am
Thanks, siddielee!  I can't wait to read your book. :)
Poetic_Mind said...
I liked this! I wasnt a big fan of the Shakespear version, especially the movies :/ But this was quite entertaining :) I dont understand why Romeo gave up sooo easily and went back, I thought he would have fought more.
CarrieAnn13 replied...

Thanks for the comment, Poetic_Mind!  No, I don't think Romeo would fight more because unrequited love is a powerful thing.  It saps your strength and makes you think you'll never find love again.  This is true because I have experienced it myself.

I'm glad you enjoyed my parody! :)

Finchy said...

I laughed on numerous occasions while reading your spoof on on one of my favorite Shakespearian plays. The idea that Romeo was stalking Juliet is sprouting funny ideas in my head as we speak. I love your creativity and passion for writing and am looking forward to your next story.