Romeo and Juliet--A Parody

Author's note: I wrote this as a final assignment for our Romeo and Juliet novel study in English. I hope...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I wrote this as a final assignment for our Romeo and Juliet novel study in English. I hope people will help me by giving me a bit of constructive criticism about plot, pacing, writing technique, dialogue, etc.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4

Epilogue

So what do you think of my parody?
Juliet and Paris dated for many years to come and eventually got married after Juliet graduated from university with a degree in English literature. Cat, her best friend went on to become a martial arts instructor and thoroughly enjoyed her work. Juliet’s father succeeded in surpassing Mr. Montague and became the owner of a very successful business that made costumes for movie companies.
Shakespeare returned to his own time with Romeo and wrote the epic tragedy ‘Romeo and Juliet.’ Romeo performed in the play as himself and often moved the audience to tears. He became a favourite of Queen Elizabeth I and lived a long, happy life in medieval London.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4

DefyingGravity said...
Oct. 15, 2011 at 8:25 am:

Very well written.

And incredibly funny. That's all I pretty much have to say--this left me laughing so hard and wanting to read more! I'm impressed at your ability to write humour--I can't pull it off myself and I don't know a lot of people who can.

I don't see any major problems with the dialogue--I did find it a little bit sloppy at some points, but nothing that honestly ruined the story or made the characters seem unrealistic.

A few things though--actually, only two:<... (more »)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Oct. 15, 2011 at 2:25 pm :
Thanks so much for commenting!  I wrote this a while ago and if I were to rewrite it (which I'm not), those would be most of the changes I'd make.  :)

Kvothe28 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I thought this was really good. I think it would be extremely hard to write a parody, to put a fresh twist on something so well known, but you did a great job. 5 Stars =)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Oct. 13, 2011 at 6:35 pm :
Thanks for commenting! :)

Steph0804This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 1, 2011 at 11:32 am:
I love the idea that Shakespear traveled into our time for inspiration; the "original" Romeo and Juliet is a lot more hilarious than the "real" version! Nice job! I laughed so much, I almost fell out of my chair! :D

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Oct. 2, 2011 at 5:32 pm :
Thank you very much! :)

julian This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is such a great parody of Romeo and Juliet!!! it is HILARIOUS!!! I really like how Shakespeare went forward in time to get ideas for a play, and then went back in time to put his ideas into action. Brilliant! Your dialogue seems a little sloppy at times. It's like you're undecided whether to go full out with shakespeare language, or do modern day language. But it is a comedic story, so it works okay. But really, this was really funny, and really imaginative. Great job!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Sept. 11, 2011 at 5:21 pm :
Thank you!  :)  I appreciate the feedback.

she-is-a-strange-duck said...
Oh my golly HILARIOUS, COMICAL, WITTY, HUMOROUS, ANY other word you can think of that means FUNNIER THAN HECK. I laughed until I cried. And you drive home a good point (I have read the original Romeo and jUliet) - sometimes this whole "Star-Cross'd Lovers thing is hard to buy. I LOVE the characters, especially Juliet and Shakespeare. Romeo is a LITTLE BIT CREEPY.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 27, 2011 at 7:44 pm :
Wow, thanks!  I'm glad you enjoyed this so much!  Thanks for taking the time to read my novel. :)

Love.Hate.Passion. said...
I am beside myself with laughter. This is the best parody of anything I've ever read. THe modern twist you put on it is great. It's hilarious and more relatable than plain old Romeo and Juliet. I liked how you changed perspectives as the chapters went on as well. Your grammar isn't shabby and your spelling is fantastic. I was drawn into the story and it didn't disappoint. One thought : I wish you would have spent more time on Romeo's perspective. I expected a different reaction when he met Shake... (more »)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 3, 2011 at 7:18 pm :
Thanks!  I'm glad you enjoyed my parody so much. :)

Mystiecub said...
Aug. 3, 2011 at 9:51 am:
Interesting is the only word I have to describe it. Great job :D

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 3, 2011 at 1:10 pm :
Thank you! :)

Healing_Angel This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 3, 2011 at 12:25 am:
Clever! Did NOT see that coming! :) Love the twist! :)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 3, 2011 at 12:35 am :
Thank you!  I'm glad you liked it. :)

MissColleen said...
This is really good Carrie! At first, I was a little confused with the narrator shift, but I got used to it right away. Also, at some points, it was a little awkward to read just because it was written with an odd flow. I like this idea that you're going with but the whole modernized Romeo and Juliet thing is way overdone in my opinion. I honestly would have liked it better if you set it in Shakespeare's time, I think it could have gone even better. Overall, a wonderful job!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Aug. 1, 2011 at 11:50 pm :
Thanks for the feedback!  But Romeo and Juliet wasn't set in Shakespeare's time.  Shakespeare was writing a play based on earlier poems/writings. :)

JustAnotherOwl said...
Jul. 30, 2011 at 7:04 pm:

I read the first chapter...

I liked this. It was an interesting twist, creative and original. I loved that she actually liked Paris.

The sentences could be a bit choppy at times. If you maybe work on the flow of the story and I think it would be great!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 30, 2011 at 7:12 pm :
Thanks for taking the time to read my novel!  And thank you for the feedback; I'll keep that in mind. :)