New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

Myrna's Adventure

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 7 Next »

Escape

By eleven o’ clock that morning, the keeper was cleaning out Myrna’s cage, just as he always did every Thursday. While he did this, Myrna waited tensely in a corner, knowing that little Erwin was watching from the bushes, waiting for the right moment. The minutes and seconds dragged on and on. Finally, the moment arrived.
The keeper had finished cleaning out Myrna’s cage and was about to lock the closed door when, suddenly…a coyote raced past the keeper, bounding over his feet and stealing his key ring off the ground. The keeper reacted as would be expected and chased after the coyote, leaving the cage door unlocked for Myrna.
Although unknown to Myrna or Erwin, this was an important day at the zoo. Today a television crew from the channel 7 news was coming to interview zoo employees about a new exhibit. When they arrived, they saw a disgruntled zookeeper chasing a coyote holding a key ring in its mouth. They immediately set up their cameras to catch the action.
While this was happening, Myrna was also very busy. She had somehow, with Erwin’s help, gotten out of her cage and onto the ground. Her next big challenge was getting to the woods which were about a mile away. Unfortunately, Myrna was not a fast snake, and the trip took her about an hour.
During this time, the reporters were interviewing the zoo keeper and the zoo manager about both the coyote incident and the rest of the zoo. The keeper had completely forgotten about Myrna. By the time that the reporters and television crew had left, the zoo keeper still had to talk to the manager about the coyote incident. All day long, no one noticed Myrna’s absence. Few people came to her cage, and those who did judged that Myrna had probably retired today.
By the end of the day, a tired but happy Myrna was deep in the woods and far away from the zoo. She owed all this to Erwin. He had planned everything and even gotten his coyote friend to create a diversion. Myrna realized that he was a true friend.