Beautiful Eyes

Author's note: I hope that people take from this story that you need to treasure all the time that you have with...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I hope that people take from this story that you need to treasure all the time that you have with people who are special to you.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next »

Prologue

I hate potatoes. Yet what am I peeling right now, and will I have to eat for supper, and every other meal? And tomorrow will be awful. I’ll have to eat Ma’s Sunday potato dish and go to church all in the same day. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a good Catholic lass at heart; however, Father Machonnaghy puts me to sleep, and while Da finally allowed me to sit with my friend Rose, all we can do is giggle at the ugly lads. There is absolutely no way that I’m marrying one of those clods.
“Stop staring into space and start peeling!” Ma has spoken. Well, I guess its back to my potatoes.
Peel, Peel, Peel. It seems like that’s all that I do around here. Of course my sister can’t do it. “You’re younger that me, you should do it. Besides, peeling potatoes would ruin my hands. Let me look at yours… see, this proves my point. At least one of us should have perfect hands and be able to get married. Guess who it is Maureen… ME. Ta-ta ugly, I’m off to do some embroidery. You see, boys are impressed by girls that have perfect skin and can do embroidery. Not girls with tanned skin and ripped dresses. Oh wait; I just described you, didn’t I?” I can just see her doing that, hands on hips, her nasally voice making fun of me while her long nose is pointed up in the air. Actually I can imagine it so well because she just came in the kitchen and said that exact thing to me five minutes ago. Ugly indeed. I am not vain like she is, but I know that I am not ugly. If anyone in this house is ugly it would be her. She has a long pointy nose, carrot-red hair, and freckles all over her face. I on the other hand am tall and slender, have auburn hair, and zero freckles. Not to sound conceited, but that is what I look like, and many people in town have called me pretty. Besides, at least I can sing alright. We are both are in the choir, and while I can at least blend in and carry a tune, she couldn’t carry a tune if it was in a bucket with a lid on it. I guess a career in performance is out for her. As for the tanned skin and ripped dresses bit, I’d rather be a tomboy than a pale priss who can’t even wash dishes. I just now noticed that I’m finished all but for one potato. I guess venting my anger helps me to peel faster. I’ll have to keep that in mind for next time.

Bones96This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I really like the begining to this but I can't seem to go past the prolog.

loveshortstuff11 said...
I posted several new chapters, so if you want to read the rest, it will be up as soon as the editors approve it! Thanks for reading :)

loveshortstuff11 said...
Sept. 27, 2011 at 9:08 am:
This is set around the 1850-1870's-ish...

Steph0804This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I like this a lot! The story is really cute and humorous... but I have a question. Where exactly is this situated? like, the time period?

loveshortstuff11 replied...
Nov. 14, 2011 at 9:43 pm :
It is supposed to be set right around the turn of the century, like 1890's

writeamongthestars said...
I have carrot-red hair, a long nose, and a lot of freckles. lol... thanks.

loveshortstuff11 replied...
Sept. 22, 2011 at 7:10 pm :
lol...sorry! Not trying to offend...my character just doesn't like her sister. I actually really like red hair, and freckles are cool. :)

Eno-BladezThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
i loved reading this i read up to the second chapter before i was brutally kicked off the computer. right now all i have time to do is comment on this then i'm going to have to get on again :P i really liked reading this.

loveshortstuff11 replied...
Sept. 22, 2011 at 7:10 pm :
lol nice...stupid computer. I hope that you like the rest though :)

rubyrose1 replied...
Sept. 27, 2011 at 9:52 am :
I  thought your story so far was so cute.  I cant wait to hear more about what happens when they meet up after mass. One thing I would recommend is putting it into paragraph form and kinda separating it out, its bit hard to read all together.  Just a few grammar mistakes, but I cant wait for you to continue with it! Good job:)

loveshortstuff11 replied...
Sept. 27, 2011 at 8:33 pm :
Thanks for your comments! I should post the next couple of chapters so that you can find out what happens next lol :)