New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

Prisoner

Author's note: I wrote this piece after learning about Cleopatra's younger sister. I hope people learn that...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I wrote this piece after learning about Cleopatra's younger sister. I hope people learn that there's more than one side to the famous Queen.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Next »

Chapter 5 Pompey

Everyone still stares at me, the fallen princess of Egypt. They know that the charge of murder is a serious one, and that Cleopatra is powerful.
I wonder if I should tell them the rest. They are Romans, proud Romans. I wonder if they would be offended.
“Your Highnesses, there are ships in the harbor.”
“What type?” The One asked, holding the crook and the flail. He looked serious. Cleopatra had been banished for a while now. My brothers and I were Pharaoh.
“It appears to be Roman.”
I inclined my head. “Could it possibly be Pompey? After all, there is news that he has fled Rome.”
“True.” The Young replied. “He may be here.”
“If it is true, my lord,” A noble said, standing up, “Then it may be wise to chop off his head.”
“But that would hurt the relations with the Romans.” I gasped.
The noble shook his head. “No. Pompey is no longer favored by the Romans. Kill him,” He told the One, “And you will have Caesar’s support. Caesar now rules.”
“Brother.” I pleaded. “Brother, don’t listen to him. Caesar and Pompey are brothers! What will you do when Caesar shows? Show him Pomepy’s head? Do you think he’ll be happy? Or will he weep for his lost brother?”
“Cleopatra turned on us.” My brother reminded me.
“True. But in Rome, there is no throne. There is only power that does not pass through family. Cleopatra was foolish enough to want it for herself. But the Romans are not like that. They believe in helping their family. Besides, Pompey helped our father? Would you want to repay that debt with blood.”
“It is now that matters.” The noble argued. “Not past debts.”
“But it is still a debt. Isis would be angry if we repaid hospitality with death.”
“It is a debt no longer owed. We repaid every coin of it.” The noble declared.
“Brother.” I turned to him one last time, hoping I could make him see sense.
“No, sister.” He said, overruling me. “Pompey will die.” He looked at the commander of the army. “Make sure it happens.”
The whole audience was silent. I coughed, then went on.
Pompey was brought before us. Or rather, his head. It was large and massive. That was all I noticed before I asked to leave. My brother gave me permission, knowing how I felt about death.

Tyler c said...
Feb. 1, 2012 at 8:59 am:
This has been the best book so far .Its amazing in both past and present .Still the best book ever.

Sydney46 said...
Great book!!! it was amazing. the only negative thing that I have to say about it is that I wish that you would distinguish her flashbacks better from the present.

emilybwrites said...
wow this was fantastic! please read my poem "forgotten domain" and comment/rate it it would mean a lot!!

iamonecoolradiator said...
Jul. 1, 2011 at 12:30 pm:
This was absolutely great! the only criticism i have of it is maybe just distinguish the differences between the present and the past more thoroughly! loved the way it ended :D

DreamingOurWorld replied...
Jul. 1, 2011 at 7:07 pm :
Yeah, I know. I typed this on word and I had lines seperating the present from the past. Unfortunetly, Teen Ink didn't recognize those lines :(

Sharmila said...
May 27, 2011 at 12:04 pm:
I liked the writing style - you had me engaged up to the last word.  Very good job!

madura said...
May 25, 2011 at 12:24 pm:
fine language as well as expression. great effort!!

aruna said...
May 23, 2011 at 2:18 pm:
Finished the story!! Very gripping & sad tale. Good background research on that period of Eyptian history.

Venkatesh said...
May 23, 2011 at 11:43 am:
Very well written. keep up the good work

amar said...
May 23, 2011 at 9:05 am:
Great stuff . Keep up with your imagination and writing skill. It is a great talent you have.

Aruna said...
May 20, 2011 at 3:59 pm:
Half way through the novel. Enjoying it very much.

Sonika said...
May 20, 2011 at 3:44 pm:
Very well written :)

neelam said...
May 20, 2011 at 1:55 am:
That was a marvellous first. Short,crisp&interesting. Keep it up!