New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

Home > Novel (Fiction) > Historical Fiction > The memoires of a Beauty

The memoires of a Beauty

Patricia B.
The memoires of a Beauty
Summary: This is a memoire of vanity and beauty, richness and glamour, all gathered in a woman most fitted for the Belle Epoque -a goddess from bourgeois circles who was often called "Republican Venus". Amelie Gautreau, best known as J.S.Sargent's Madame X, opens the door to a lost era of elegance.

Tags: self-esteem

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 6, 2011 at 7:18 pm:
I absolutely LOVE the language you've used here. It flows really well, though I agree with some other comments about the French. I couldn't understand those lines where you used it. It's funny, because I just read a historical fiction novel that had to do with the French Revolution. But anyway, that's kind of off topic, except that I kind of wanted to praise your writing in that it kind of reminded me of the writing style of that book. Have you heard of The Scarlet Pimpernel?? Anyway, that's the... (more »)

awayra replied...
Jul. 7, 2011 at 9:23 am :

thank you very much! when I'll publish the book I'll try to replace some of the French parts due to your comments of not understanding much of it:) i've almost finished the novel and your opinions really give me the faith I can publish it! thanks again! :)

(actually, I read the Scarlet Pimpernel, but I didn't like it so much- for those who love French books, I'd better recommend Dangerous Liaisons, Cheri or The Lady of the Camellias, which always inspired me)

tealbird said...
Jul. 6, 2011 at 12:15 pm:
It's really well written, but I often found myself getting lost in the narrative (I take Spanish, so I was LOST when they were speaking in French!). I also kind of got confused when the story started off, but I loved the writing style.

awayra replied...
Jul. 6, 2011 at 12:41 pm :
i'm aware it's confussing with the french parts but as they appear only at the begining of the whole novel (which i'm not going to post here) i think it's acceptable, right?

tealbird replied...
Jul. 6, 2011 at 8:59 pm :
Its definitely acceptable, but I think I would just use simpler words so that more people could understand it.

AndRachelLovesyou said...
Jul. 5, 2011 at 12:18 pm:

I think the language you use is beautiful. A couple critiques:

-I take french, so I could understand it, but for someone who has never taken it this would be very hard to read. I understand you wanting to incoperate french, but for the reader's sake I would stick to simple words, or make sure the reader can understand the exact meaning by the context.

-Since this is going to be a novel, I would put somekind of forword in the beginning just to explain, the time and place of the n... (more »)

awayra replied...
Jul. 6, 2011 at 9:35 am :

i was thinking to make a last chapter in which to put pictures of the dresses and builindings present in the novel, followed by short historical description so that readers could imagine better the background!

anyway, thanks very much for the review!

youngpilotThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 30, 2011 at 2:53 pm:
its good, but the over prominet second language makes it very difficult to read, expecially with the immense number of names tht make it confusing to follow. otherwise, its good, but confusing. :)

awayra replied...
Mar. 30, 2011 at 3:06 pm :

I wanted to compete with Proust- you should read him to understand what confusing means :) thanks for the comment any way

p.s. just to make the book less confusing, i'll give a list of the characters :

christine- amelie's english friend

annie- amelie's adopted daughter

henri- amelie's lover

the other names are quite known between the fans of the belle epoque time and very easy to find on wikipedia for the rest of readers

Love.Hate.Passion. replied...
Mar. 31, 2011 at 5:03 pm :
I love it !I usually am not interested in histrical ficion , but this is well done. I liked the little tidbits of French in there. God Job :)

awayra replied...
Apr. 1, 2011 at 11:29 am :
I know teens seldom like historical fiction because they somehow think those times are dead- I want to show the soul of a vivid epoch where elegance and glamour were everything

awayra replied...
May 3, 2011 at 10:20 am :
could you please post more opinions about my novel- i'm making the next chapter and i'd use your indications