New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

Sir Kentworth

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

The Search

At once Kentworth sought out permission from the king to go after the enemy and retrieve his fellow squire. First, however, the king insisted he be knighted, one, for the immense bravery he showed in the battle, and two, to make his quest easier. The squire was indeed underage by about five years to become a knight, but the king ignored that. Some of the other squires who had fought as or nearly as bravely as he where also knighted, and prepared to go with Kentworth, after they had received their new distinction. A unit of about twelve men-at-arms, and six longbowmen prepared to go with the knights as well. So in all, the assembly was around 22, all on horseback.

A good deal of the castle and surrounding villagers gathered to bid them farewell. The king and queen, as well as several of their chief knights were present.

All the men, but Kentworth above all, set out with a mindset of determination. The knights had the night before inspected the maps to the territory people of Fraudsworth, and had brought some of the
parchments along, as well as supplied for a month. (They had brought five pack horses with them.)

After two days of nearly nothing, the men came upon a relatively small city, apparently primarily for traders. They stopped there for a some more supplies, and asked around about whether anybody had seen the riders holding the squire prisoner. But everyone they asked, seemed to shun the topic, and either change the subject, or scuffle away. They didn't really gather the useful information they were seeking.

After these not so large accomplishments, when the sun was low in the sky and the number of people on the streets much decreased, Kentworth and one of his fellow knights, Maniskeel, noticed a rather odd, yet vaguely familiar spectacle. About eight riders were hurrying away, with a young man on an extra horse. The fellow didn't seem to be willing to go with them. And, his hands seemed to be bound. Kentworth caught a glimpse of the side of his face. Brently!

Kentworth sprang forward with is horse, Maniskeel following, and, once the rest finally figured out what was going on, they others came as well. But, much to Kentworth's despair, the gates were being closed. “No!!” The men at the gates seemed slightly even more determined at that, and pushed on the huge doors all the harder. But Kentworth, Maniskeel, and two of the longbowmen did manage to get through in time. An intense chase ensued. The diminishing light didn't help matters. Most of the time the pursued were just dim, dark specks of light. That is, when they were to be seen at all. But finally, the only way to know for certain the location of their foes was by sound. The darkness had totally blotted them out. But, a rather major issue arose. The horses were growing tired. But, Kentworth reasoned, those they were chasing were on horses too. They must surely grow weary as well. Finally, staining with all his might, the only sound that Kentworth could hear was that of his own party's horses. Had they gotten farther ahead of them? Had they hidden alongside the road? Well, one thing was for certain: they couldn't ride all night. The four men were forced to stop and spend the night along the road.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »