Light Packed and Cold Footed

Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20 Next »

Lydia Fitzalan

Lydia Fitzalan
As I walked into the tilted house that I used to call home, my tired feet grazed the rough, neglected floor. I walked endless miles to return to this place. The walk seems pointless now, for I have regained no peace of mind by returning here. If our house had not been so isolated the Baron would have burned it to the ground. Maybe I should burn the house, right now and be done with my past. The table will make a perfect fire starter. I took Ma's old hatchet to start breaking up the wood, but something stopped me. It was my chess board resting on the table, coated with a layer of dust. I had not seen the board in years.....since Elyas and I played our final game of chess together. I let my hesitation flood over me and I swung the hatchet in a wide arc until I heard it connect with wood. Splinters were shot into my eyes and a wooden chunk hit my torso sending me crashing to the floor.

Elyas and I sat stiffly across from each other. All that separated us was an old game of chess. He brought his blazing eyes toward mine and stared into their depths. Elyas looked like an angry war horse ready to buck off an ignorant rider. His body language would keep most people from making a move, but I knew Elyas too well. He always loved to scare, but he was no real threat. Elyas also hated to loose. I turned my head toward the chess board and smiled. Anyone who knew how to play chess could see that in one move I could put Elyas in a position he would loathe to be in. I moved my rook forward so his king was encompassed by my pieces. Elyas was a very poor chess player, but I still was happy about my victory. I could not help the words that were already flooding out of my mouth,"Check Mate, for the fifth time today, I guess I have better strategy than you, brother."
"Hey Lydia! Get off the damned floor and help me move these boards! Your brother would not be happy if you were to fail", the shouting voice came from the direction of my brother but it was one of a stranger. Suddenly water drenched my grey tunic.
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20 Next »