New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

Trail of Blood and Tears

Author's note: I was inspired to write this because of a project we had to do in history, a project of our...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I was inspired to write this because of a project we had to do in history, a project of our choice. I decided to write this story and show my class that the Oregon Trail wasn't just a plain old trail, but a trail of hardship and sorrow. Also I thought I'd let people see how adding excitement to a historical fiction book can make it way more interesting.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next »

Prologue: The Color Crimson

The pain was too much to bear. My feet were all scraped and bleeding, bruises were all over me, cuts ran along my arms, legs, and torso. Sore muscles, an aching head, and the constant memory. Both of them gone, leaving me all alone. I can’t remember the man, the one who took them away, the one who bathed them in their own blood. There was nothing I could do to help them, I just ran away. It’s all my fault, father, mother please come back...please. My breathing became heavy, and tears swelled up in my eyes. I remember papa always telling me not to cry, to look forward and keep walking; for when something bad happens a good thing is always to follow. Papa, what could possibly happen to make me happy, what good can come of this? The tears streamed from my eyes, remembering them was too painful. The lights coming from the house became less intense as I got farther away, but everywhere I looked I saw blood. It stood out against the dark ground and trees, even the moon appeared to be blood red. The crimson color illuminated the world, making it look as though the whole world was covered in the blood of my parents. My legs crumbled beneath me as I fell towards the earth. I looked forward, to see my house with its door wide open, as though welcoming me home, like nothing happened at all. I positioned myself so I would be able to stand up easily, but I was shaking too violently. 
I lifted my hands to my eyes, the color red reflected back at me. My eyes grew wide and the tears stopped. Reality hit me when I realized I too was covered in blood, though not of another. It was my own. My body fell forward no longer having any strength to carry on. The cuts opened wider letting the warm blood beneath flow out. My skin turned a pale color before it was dyed crimson. In the distance I could hear the sound of footsteps.
“Help...me,” I managed to choke those two simple words out before I no longer was able to move. My whole body seemed paralyzed, I was no longer in control nor was anyone else. The footsteps stopped for a couple seconds and then continued.
“C’mon kid open your eyes!” A husky voice urgently commanded, “Hurry up! There’s no time to lose, he’s coming.” I willed my eyes to open but they wouldn’t listen, all control was gone. This is it I told myself, looks like I’ll be leaving this place. This man is gonna leave me here for dead since my eyes won’t open, and I will fade away into oblivion. Unexpectedly a rough hand grabbed my wrist and pulled me up onto my feet. My mouth opened and I screamed in pain, more blood seeped from my wounds and fell onto the soft soil. I was back in control, though the pain worsened.
“Good, your still alive...” He paused, “Well partially alive.” The man let go of my wrist and then hoisted me onto his back. My wounds opened up even more, more blood, more pain and suffering. 
“You owe me a new outfit since your getting this one all bloody.” I could tell he was trying to lighten the mood a bit and joke around with me, but his tone was harsh. No methods would work, none could lighten the mood. My parents were killed before my very eyes in a brutal fashion. Their necks and stomachs cut by a blade, gashes along their arms all because they tried to protect me. Telling me to run, telling me it wasn’t my fault, telling me everything is gonna be fine, telling me...telling me...
“It’s all my fault. If only I was stronger, I could have protected them.” I barely got out the words before I ended up coughing up blood.
“Would you just shut up! No more talking, no more moving! You got that, keep it up and your gonna bleed to death,” his voice this time wasn’t harsh, it was soft and quiet as though if he spoke to loud I would crumble to pieces. “To be honest I am actually surprised your still alive after all the blood you lost...It must have been terrible.” I opened my mouth to speak and tell him everything but all that came out was a single word.
“Run...” My eyes widened, and I became frozen with fear. I couldn’t control what I was saying it just came out. I repeated it over and over again, as though if I didn’t say it enough something bad would happen. “Run...run...run...please run!”
“Didn’t I tell you to shut...” The man stopped and turned around to see someone standing in the door way of my house, covered in blood, carrying a knife. He had longer hair, was quite tall and to be honest looked like a wreck, but somehow I knew this person.
“Julius...it’s Julius,” after I spoke I ended up coughing up even more blood. I felt like the world was spinning, everything was disoriented. It was all red and black yet the three of us still looked normal besides the fact we were all covered in the crimson blood. 
“Guess the crazies really do come out on the full moon. Hey kid I know I told you not to talk but please tell me one thing. How do you know this creep?!?!” The man carrying me looked at me with the weirdest expression I have ever seen. It actually made me smile for a split second.
“Julius is my big brother!” I said with a smile, but the smile faded as I winced with pain, the gashes were getting worse and bleeding more.
“Well ain’t this great! I have got a kid on my back bleeding to death, a crazed brother with a knife, and two parents lying dead inside the house the brother just came out of. Did I miss anything?” The man asked me sarcastically before he gently set me underneath one of the trees alongside the pathway. He rolled up his sleeves and approached Julius.
“Julius is it? Look if you are this kids older brother shouldn’t you be looking after him, and please put down that knife someone could get hurt.” He continued walking towards my brother, unfazed. All I could do was watch as the events unfurled before me. Both of them approached one another and started talking, I was unable to hear what they were saying but Julius put down the knife.
“Don’t you dare touch h...” Julius was cut off as the man started swinging punches at him. He then punched my brother in the stomach, twisted his arm backwards and threw Julius to the ground. The man spit on the ground and started walking towards me. He had fire in his eyes. 
I stared at Julius lying on the ground, not moving. My big brother Julius, why were you covered in blood, why did you have a knife. You couldn’t have killed father or mother, you loved them didn’t you. You loved me right. If you did why do I have all these cuts, what exactly happened. Even as all these thoughts rushed through my mind I could only think of one thing, is Julius okay.
“Brother! Big brother Julius!! Get up!” I shouted my heart out trying to have my voice reach him, “Please get up!! Please...” My heart skipped a beat, and the loss of blood finally got to me. Last thing I remember was the man rushing over to me, the color red everywhere, then darkness. Is this what its like to be dead?

jennielikeduh said...
Omg this book is absolutely amazing. I was literally reading it with tears in my eyes. Great wording:) you so have the talent to become a famous author

FawnTLost replied...
Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:48 pm :
Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

FawnTLost said...
I would like to apologize for the misuse of some words such as your, and you're. I wanted to upload this and leave it as it was typed a while ago (such as a couple years). Again my apologies.