New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

Stroke of Midnight chpt 1

Author's note: i hope u all like this
Author's note: i hope u all like this  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16 Next »

The new boy

A young woman walked into the room. Long and flat she reminded me of one of the women you see on an exercise magazine. Her light brown hair was to her shoulder in tiny ringlets. Her eyes were a stunning dark brown that resembled black beads. She sat on the desk at the front of the classroom.
“I’m Ms. Lenning and I’m your biology teacher.”
“This woman looks like a total nut.” Noah whispered.
I grabbed my biology book and read the first three chapters as instructed. The words were confusing but I managed to finish all three by the time class was up. I was the first out of the room walking to my new locker that wasn’t across the hall from Kai’s like last year. A girl with shocking dark red hair with light red highlights walked to the locker on my right. She had a pink blouse and pink shoes. A light blue jean skirt with matching pink belt. Her eyes were blue and the color I wished I had. Her hair was one third down the way down her back. She turned to me with a large smile.
“I’m Valentine like as in the holiday.”
“I’m Claire.”
“That’s a gorgeous name.”
“Thank you.”
“Who is your next class with?”
“Mr. Leonardo.”
“That’s my next class too!”
“See you there.”
“Ok.”
I walked down the bleak hall passing James on the way but not stopping to talk. Mr. Leonardo or Mr. Leo, as he told us to call him, was my literature teacher. He wasn’t that nice but I got to sit by Valentine in the front of the class so it wasn’t that bad.
I walked back down the hall knowing my next class was history with Kai and Paige. Kai was at a table waiting for me and Paige was at the table on the opposite side of the room sitting with some boy.
“Hey, Kai.”
“Claire.” He smiled.
I sat next to him and he took my bag placing it gently on top of his.
He kissed me gently on the cheek just as the teacher walked in. She was one of those fake E! girls. Young, fake blondes who have had way to much plastic surgery over the years. Bright red lipstick and sparkling blue eye shadow just added to the look. She looked at Kai and smiled, sitting on the desk and folding one of her legs over the other trying to look cute.
“Who knew that life-sized Barbies were so annoying.” He whispered in my ear.
“Especially the talking ones.” I laughed quietly.
“I’m Ms. Hancock and all this week we will be talking about family’s that have disappeared. A mystery week you could call it.” Her voice was a squeal. Who knew women could be so fake! “Take out your text books and read the first chapter please.” She continued.
She put on more lipstick and painted her nails watching Kai as he flipped through the book and read the chapter quickly. The bell rang and we were both on our feet and out the door before anyone else. But I couldn’t help but notice that the boy next to Paige had left and was already in the hallway. We walked to the cafeteria together in silence, sitting with Kai’s family. Clide had supposedly gone off to college though I knew he was at home watching NFL.
Logan sat next to her new husband Pete while everyone else sat with their pair. Maria and Paige sat together since Clide wasn’t here and I was sitting with Kai. Catherine and Mikayla walked to us and I felt my mouth drop when I looked at them. Mikayla’s cheeks weren’t as chubby as they once were but still chubby enough to be cute. Her hair had gotten longer and was now in small curls. She was shorter for an unexplainable reason but her eyes now had a certain glimmer to them that made her gorgeous. Catherine was still the same girl I always knew her as but because she was with Mikayla she seemed abnormally gorgeous herself.
“You look shorter, Mikayla.” I remarked.
“It’s some disease that runs in the family…or so I’m told.”
“She’s fun size.” Catherine added.
James looked at the door. “Senior boys to the left.” He said but mainly to Catherine.
She left right away leaving Mikayla in front of us. The Pattinsons like Mikayla and treat her as one of the family but none of them can stand Catherine. When I ask them why they just say it’s ‘just a feeling’.
“Happy birthday, Mikayla.” Kai notified her.
He held out a small velvet box and she swiftly took it. They both let out a small gasp when there fingers touched. Mikayla grabbed the box with her other hand while she bit the finger that touched him. She opened the small box and took out the diamond ring, slipping it carefully on her finger.
“I love it.” She hugged Kai and they both froze but Kai especially. “Too close?” She asked
“Way to close.”
“Sorry.”
He laughed. “Why don’t you spend the night at my house? You’ll have to come over sooner or later to pick up your other present.”
“You didn’t have to get me anything, Kai, a birthday is just another way to say I’m getting old.”
“Be glad that you are getting old. You may hate it now but you will love it in the long run trust me. Being young forever isn’t the path you want to choose.”
“You guys are like my guardian angels from the underworld.” She laughed and hugged him again but quickly released herself. She sat down next to me and Kai across from Will and Cynthia.
“What is with the whole makeover look?” Will questioned.
“Since I’m a senior I thought I could at least look like a senior. See if any boys like the new me.”
“Mmmm hmmm.” Was all he said hiding a small grin.
“What’s that supposed to mean?”
“It means what it is.”
“ ‘Mmmm hmmm’ ,” She quoted. “Doesn’t mean a thing!”
“Don’t get all worked up about it, it was a simple statement.”
“Whatever.” She mumbled and turned to me. “So Claire, how come you didn’t call me all summer? I was beginning to think that Kai did something to you.”
“I was going through a few changes.”
“What, you were pregnant?”
“I was kind of turning into a werewolf.”
“Oh thank god because if you were pregnant I was going to have to smack some sense into you. If you were a vampire though then that would be a whole different problem and I would end up smacking some sense into whatever possessed Kai into doing that to you.”
“I wouldn’t take her soul away.” Kai commented.
“If you were possessed you wouldn’t care.”
All he did was laugh at that comment.
“So what is it like being a werewolf? You got tanner by the way Ms. Kentucky must of enjoyed the California sun.”
“I didn’t get out much because I was literally dying.”
“Well you are sitting here talking to me so obviously you aren’t dead.”
“Oh, Mikayla I missed you so much.”
“Thinking about people that shouldn’t exist did you see Ms. Hancock?”
“Oh my god yes! She has had way too much plastic surgery!”
“I’m surprised she didn’t explode when this one boy walked in! He was absolutely gorgeous and had the cutest eyes I have ever seen! His skin was white but it was so caramel I could bake cookies on him he’s so hot!”
“Are you two hyped-up on laughing gas?” Will asked rudely
“We are teenage girls give us a break.” Mikayla snapped
“I saw the cutest boy in my first class his name was Noah.”
“Maybe you can introduce me to Noah since I’m your best friend who is a senior in high school and doesn’t have a boyfriend.”
“Why don’t you have a boyfriend.”
“My brother Derek keeps me in check.”
“You have a brother?”
“Two but we aren’t really related. My real parents dropped me off at the Reed’s doorstep one night and here I am eighteen years later talking to a werewolf.”
“I did not know that about you.”
“I don’t tell a lot of people about that but you trusted me with your secret so I can trust you with mine.”
“Why is it a secret?”
“I’m less likely to get married if anyone knew that.”
“I’d think you would have more of a chance since everyone hates in-laws.”
She grabbed my cookie but I took it back giving her a stern look.
“Don’t werewolves eat flesh? You don’t need this cookie.”
“I eat human food not flesh.”
“So I’m coming to your house tonight?” She asked swiftly grabbing my cookie back.
“Yes I believe that is the plan.”
“Then let’s go school is over in a few hours but I think we can afford to skip out .”

This book has 1 comment. Post your own!

Nothingbetterthanawesomeness said...
I think your story is ok, but work on explaining things more; i was confused about a lot of things, like if Logan was a boy or girl.