The Fate of Kiaronojo

Author's note: I wanted to write a fantasy novel, but I could NEVER come up with something like Lord of the...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I wanted to write a fantasy novel, but I could NEVER come up with something like Lord of the Rings. So I settled for a short novel to introduce me to the genre of writing.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »

Introducing Kiaronojo

In the land of Omnihine, there lived a princess named Helena. A beautiful princess she was, and sweet tempered as a peony to boot! She had beautiful golden hair, as most princesses seem to have, and her eyes were the color of a sea after a storm. But she was not only beautiful in outward appearances. She was just as lovely and pure in her heart. Truly a princess worth winning!
Every unmarried man of nobility in the land sought her hand in marriage, but all failed to meet her standards of what her prince should be. Finally, one day an unknown king came to the castle to woo her. He was a handsome man, with dark hair and eyes, and tanned skin.
"Hello princess," he addressed her, bowing solemnly to the princess and her father respectively,
"I am Daniel, king of Kiaronojo, and I have come to take you as my bride."
"Well," said Helena, "That's all very well and good, but did you even think of the fact that I might not want to marry you?"
"Yes, actually," answered Daniel, "but there’s never been a princess that hasn’t wanted to marry me."
"Then how come you're not already otherwise engaged?" asked the old king, sternly.
"Because, my dear old fellow, I didn't want to marry them!" the young king answered immediately.
The old king was not offended by being called ‘my dear old fellow’ by such a young chap, because Daniel’s answer was so completely logical, and the king liked logic.
As for Helena, the young king’s answer made her think him very smart and wonderful indeed, because she was very touched that he had singled her out of all the other princesses in the land. So, she honored him with her most dazzling smile, and told him that if her father approved, she would simply love to marry him.
The king after some consideration decided that the young man was an upright and good- tempered fellow, and he gave Helena and Daniel his royal consent.
After which, the delighted couple was married in a magnificent ceremony after which the food, entertainment and drink, added to the cost of Helena’s beautiful but very expensive bridal gown, cost the old king of Omnihine almost half of his expansive treasury. But he didn’t mind in the slightest, for he loved his daughter very much.

The happy pair then set out on a couple of beautiful snow-white horses to Daniel’s home, expecting to live out their days happily in that country.
But upon reaching the border, Helena cried out at what she saw.
The whole scene was dark and dreary! The mountains rose high, dark, and craggy, and the shadows were indeed forbidding. Clouds hung over the horizon, and not a flower or bird was to be seen. The trees were all dead or decrepit, standing bare and worn, with the branches sticking out like a mass of thin spiders.
"Oh, my dear Daniel!!" the poor princess cried, "I shall love you always, no matter what happens to us, and love you anywhere, no matter what it looks like, but why have you brought me to this place. I’ve never seen a kingdom so frightening.”
Daniel looked at her sadly, and answered "Darling Helena! I’m so sorry for deceiving you. I loved you so much, and I knew you’d never marry me if you saw where I lived. I am king indeed, of this horrible place, and you shall be queen. The people will love you, and you will bring happiness to us once more!”
Helena stopped sobbing, and laid her head on his shoulder.
“I’m sorry for pouting, my dear. I will try to be a comfort to you, but- why is the kingdom like this in the first place?”
The king gave her a kiss on the cheek. “I’ll tell you later, since it’s a long story. We’re almost there, and I’m sure you must be quite worn out!
They soon came straight up to the black gates of the epic castle that was to be their home.
Once inside the castle, Helena was greeted very warmly and graciously indeed! She was shown to her bed almost immediately, being very tired.
Daniel flopped into bed much later, he having to attend to some important business before retiring.
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »

This book has 1 comment. Post your own now!

CassandraD said...
I thought it was fun reading your story. The title pretty much compelled me to click and read it. But, I will say that I think the events in the story are a little too fast paced, so everything happens suddenly. It can sometimes be too confusing for the reader.  I read your note about writing your novel and you said that writing fantasy stories is something you haven't dealt with before. Well, this is good for starters. Just remember to keep a slow pace on the envents that are unravel... (more »)