Deception

Author's note: I hope that people will find this book entertaining and suspenseful, because it is unique and was...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I hope that people will find this book entertaining and suspenseful, because it is unique and was written to male or female readers.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Next »

Chapter One

Splat! Splat! Splat! CRACK!

Heavy rain slaps at my face as I dart through the barren streets of Aspendale. My tennis shoes squeak noisily as I struggle to avoid pebbles and direct spotlight. What seems like blue lightning bursts from behind gray clouds, and bolts attack the ground with force. The book-bag slung over my shoulder now feels as though it’s weighing me down.

Panting, I consider pausing for a moment and resting against a building. However, I’ve already been separated from my group and it’s crucial that I locate them first. Normally, I would’ve headed straight for home, but Tamus, my older brother, is part of the group, and he wouldn’t have left me behind in a situation like this.

With shaking hands, I draw out the pistol from my book-bag and securely hold it by my side. I never shoot to kill unless I’m on an assignment, but more to threaten. The streets of Aspendale are like a maze, and they’re difficult to navigate through. But the caretakers at the orphanage made sure that each and every orphan knew the pathway back home-from anywhere. Swiftly, bun ready, I whirl around to check the name of the building next to me.

Mindy’s Hair Salon. Perfect, that meant that I was close. From here, I take a right, go left around the 7-11, make another left, pass the flagpole, and keep running straight. As I follow this route, my hood constantly falls off of my head. My clothes are soaked, and dark brown bangs keep falling into my eyes. I arrive at the flagpole, and, too exhausted to continue, sink down against the metal pole.

While squatting on the ground, I hear what sounds like a distant call. Taken by surprise, I stay completely still. “Flax!” I hear someone whisper harshly. Heart pounding in my chest, I weakly stand up and turn around, gun held out. “Whoa!” Raquette, the Cleaner of the group, holds her hands up in a surrender position.

My hands drop immediately and my heartbeat gradually slows in relief. “Jesus, Raquette, you scared me to death!”

Raquette shrugs sheepishly. “Group is priority, right?”

I cup my hands over my face and rub my eyes. “Is it just you?” I ask tiredly.

She shakes her head quickly. “No. Tamus and Warren are hiding behind the grocery store back there.”

Aw, why did they have send freaking Warren? When did he get here? I think to myself. But instead I reply, “All right, let’s go.”

As if reading my thoughts, Raquette answers, “Warren was just sent to hold the umbrella.” She giggles a little, then whistles sharply. Two figures appear in the shadows, and begin running our way.

Tamus wraps me in a brotherly hug of relief, and I instantly feel better. Warren suddenly interrupts, “are we going to leave yet?”

Kicking his foot, I hiss, “Quiet down and start running.”

Instead of taking off, he casually stays by my side as I keep a fast pace. “So what happened to you?” he asks nosily.

I got separated from the group. God, why do you have to ask such stupid questions?” I snap.

He raises his hands in mock surrender and smirks. Idiot.

Once we arrive at the orphanage, the building senses our presence, and the lights abruptly turn off. I wish I could say that we were back at our “home-sweet-home,” but this was more like returning to a nightmare.

meatluvr1845 said...
Mar. 18, 2013 at 1:10 am:
This really should be published. bravo      *smiles and asks for high five* Hey if anybody could check out my work and comment that'd be great...not very good but I'd still enjoy feedback  :)     TeenInk.com/nonfiction/personal_experience/article/533306/Belittled-Valentines-Day/  

C.K.Snow said...
Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:43 am:
This is great! Well done!

louisiana said...
I love it!!! Banana you rock!

Louisiana said...
Banana!! I love it!!