New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

The Wondrous Place of Anything

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

Chapter 1

It was 12 noon and I had done nothing but sit in my room all day, boring myself to death. My light pink walls were soundless as I stared at them throughout the long hours of the day.

Everything was quiet around the house. No Xbox blaring from downstairs; no bratty little sister bugging me every second of the day; no dad busting in my room to ask me to go golfing with him. Nothing. Nada. Silence. So where is everyone? As if a light bulb went off in my head, I decided to go explore around my house.

I hopped off the bed, my feet hitting the white carpeted floor with a soft thud. I made my way to my bedroom door and opened it, expecting to walk into the mysterious land of Narnia. However, I didn't. I only caught myself staring at an empty hallway with a dull wall smack in front of me. Shrugging my shoulders, I took a left, the staircase meeting my eyesight.

I walked down the wooden steps and into my dad's study, which was dimly lit. Nothing but a lamp on my dad's invisible desktop. The papers on his desk swallowing whole the polished oak wood.

My dad was too busy with his work to even notice me standing in the doorway. His eyebrow was creased, intently focused on his writings. The pen in his hand moved swiftly from left to right, not breaking contact with the paper. His glasses, with black rims around the square-shaped lenses, were hanging loosely off his nose. And the sleeves of his blue long-sleeve Polo were rolled up, exposing the werewolf in him. (My dad's not really a werewolf. His arms are just hairy like one.)

"Dad?" I said in a clear voice, causing my dad to snap out of whatever trance he was in.

"Yeah, Caitlin?" he looked over at me, taking off his glasses in the process.

"Where is everyone?" he sighed taking a deep breathe and cleared his throat.

"Well, your mother is on a company business trip. Your sister, Haley is at a sleep over. And of course, you already know your brother, Jeff, is at college. How come you asked?"

"Because I'm bored out of my mind and this house is so quiet. I'm so used to noise." I explained to him.

"Yeah, me too." my dad took another long sigh and looked at me with a smile.

"Hey. How about after I finish this paper work, we go for a movie of your choice? Sounds good?" my dad asked me. Well I couldn't argue with that so I nodded my head and said OK. I told him to just wake me up when he was through with mission impossible. That paperwork was something else.

I then went upstairs back to my boring room and laid on my bed, fixing to go to sleep. After counting sheep for five and a half minutes, I finally drifted off into the wonderful escape of my dreams.

MadisHeart said...
Jun. 20, 2013 at 2:15 pm:
Very realistic interactions between people, good job!

offwithyourhead! replied...
Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:08 pm :
thank you. :)