New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

SuperNOVA

Author's note: This action-adventure novel was written to explore the far reaches of moral ambiguity and power of corruption.
Author's note: This action-adventure novel was written to explore the far reaches of moral ambiguity and power of corruption.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next »

Headline News

“I loved you, you know.” I told her, struggling to find my voice. The cold steel of a pistol pressed to the back of my skull was nothing new to me, but this time things were different. Things had finally become personal.
“I know you did,” she said as she lowered the handgun. “I’m sorry things have to end this way.” She cocked the gun and brought it back into position. I closed my, preparing for the inevitable.
And that’s where the memory ends. When the bomb went off seconds later, the scene in the apartment building came to a fiery end. In a bizarre twist of fate, the woman and I were the only two survivors. According to the nurses, my name is John Lange. I take their word for it, because I can’t remember anything about my old life, except for those brief moments before the explosion.
It’s a curious thing, to your reflection in a mirror for the first time in your life. I don’t know who I expected to see staring back, but the man in the mirror wasn’t him. My black hair was cropped short in a military grade haircut, and my skin wasn’t pale, but it wasn’t tan either. My arms were covered in scars that had long since faded away, but the faint lines could still be traced. Most striking of all was my eye color, so pale blue that they appeared grey. I’d never seen anyone else with eyes this shade, and I studied them silently for a long time. The look they cast on others could only be described as war-ravaged, a desperate longing to escape a lifetime of suffering.
But curiously…I was happy. After all, I’d been given a fresh start. I had the rest of my life ahead of me, and there was an entire world out there to re-discover.
They say I am a private investigator, operating in New York. Or I was, at least, before my last case took a turn for the worse and I ended up in the care of Project NOVA. The woman was…is…Fiona Callahan, my ex-wife.
It took me two months to come out of the coma, and I was damn lucky to be alive. My memory was hardly a small price to pay, but it seemed the higher ups at the Project preferred me this way. In their eyes, I was the perfect operative; a blank slate to train, a blank slate who owed them his life. Poor Fiona hadn’t yet regained consciousness, but I hadn’t given up hope.
I couldn’t explain it, the strange sympathy and attachment I felt to a woman like Fiona. I mean, physically, she was beautiful. Her hair was a deep red, which she kept just past shoulder length and straightened. I couldn’t remember ever looking her in the eye, but some how I knew her eyes were a bright green.
How Fiona had ever married a guy like me, I’ll never know. No, what I didn’t understand about my attraction to Fiona was that my only memory of her had been an attempted homicide. The closest thing I could attribute my feelings for Fiona to would be the deluded idea of love at first sight. Obviously, I had once been in love with this woman, and without the memories of whatever happened to drive us apart, I had nothing to hinder the same head over heels feelings we once shared. As a result, I visited her room in the hospital wing every day, just before I hit the bar with my partner, Morty. The doctors said her condition was improving, but I couldn’t tell.
“How’s the wife?” Morty asked as I took my usual place next to him at the bar, which was located on Project NOVA’s grounds. The Project spared no expense when it came to the luxury of its operatives.
“Ex-wife,” I reminded him. “She’s doing well, I suppose. As well as someone who’s comatose can do. But it won’t be long before she’s joining us for field missions.”
“We’ll see,” he replied.
“What’s that supposed to mean?” I asked curiously. Samuel “Morty” Mortimer was my only friend, but even he was a mystery. He had been with the Project for two years already. He rarely talked of his personal life, only once slipping up to mention he had a wife back home. He had gotten even more flustered when I asked him where home was, as if it would even make a difference.
“All I’m saying, John, is that we don’t know what she’ll be like when and if she awakes. She’s been in a coma for six months now.” Morty said as he took a sip of his drink. I followed suit, enjoying the refreshing taste of whatever concoction Morty had ordered for me.
“Alright, you win. What’s on the agenda tomorrow, Mort?” It was pointless to ask, considering the next day was a Saturday, which is a big deal when it comes to the Project.
“Another civilian mission, and after that I think we’ve earned some R&R on lazy Sunday.” Morty had this tendency to use phrases like ‘lazy Sunday’, which he claimed was a reference to something that I wouldn’t understand. Either way, Sundays were the closest any operatives got to a normal day.
In normal cases, it can take months to fully adjust to Project NOVA’s way of life. That was never the case for me, considering I had no life to leave behind. Black suits and white ties every day, limited to no internet access or contact with the outside world, and military grade hair cuts were the ingredients to a normal life for me.
Yes, I was still mostly in the dark about what the Project actually did. Their purpose, along with whatever role I played in it, was on a need to know basis. Apparently, I didn’t need to know.
“Mr. Lange?” I turned around to see Doctor Rovin holding a file with my name on it in his hands. Rovin, who was only a couple of years older than me, was one of the higher-ups in the Project. I don’t know a lot about him, but it’s a safe bet that Rovin wasn’t a medical doctor. I’d never seen him in the hospital wing any of the times I’d visited Fiona, that’s for sure.
Rovin wore glasses; I wasn’t quite sure I believed he needed them. His silvery-grey hair clashed with his otherwise youthful appearance, and he had a reputation among Project NOVA operatives to be the constant bearer of bad news.
“Hey, Doc,” I said cautiously, unsure as to what ill news he could have for someone like me. “What’s going on?”
“Well, John…do you mind if I call you John?” Without waiting for an answer, Rovin opened the folder he was holding and skimmed it as he continued. “It appears we’ve had a change in scheduling for you and Mr. Mortimer. Tomorrow you will be joining Mr. Westfield on a high profile mission in Manhattan. An important Presidential candidate will be doing the keynote speech at the International Economic Summit and it will be your squad’s duty to ensure everything goes according to plan.”
“And what is this ‘plan’, exactly?”
“Let’s just say that we’ll make the headline of Sunday’s paper,” Rovin laughed in an unsettling way. He began to stride down the hallway, still laughing.

Lindsey31 said...
Mar. 26, 2012 at 10:07 pm:
Wow, this is amazing. I wish I was a writer capable enough to get his/her own agent! Congrats! If you'd like to read another awesome action-adventure book, check out "Brea's Escape." Just go to my page OR see the most recent published books. Please comment, rate and evaluate. Thank you!

Timekeeper This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 7, 2012 at 4:57 pm :
Thank you! I'll check out your work soon :D

Timekeeper This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
A massive thank you to all of my fans/supporters/readers! The final manuscript is officially past the halfway mark (currently clocking it at just over 60,000 words!). Please continue to link the novel and share it with your friends! I'm looking for an agent, so if any one out there can do anything to support me, please don't hesitate to lend a hand! Thank you to everyone who has helped me so far!

hannahbananasplit replied...
Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:29 pm :
That was really good! It definitely needs a bit of work, but this is far and away above the level of a usual TeenInk novel. Good job!

Jul. 7, 2012 at 4:51 pm :
This draft is ancient, trust me-- the material that is going to be published is of a much higher caliber.

Imy_Spray said...
Jan. 5, 2012 at 12:49 am:
This is so gripping and I LOVE IT! I usually won't read novels on here just because I cant be bothered really, but wow!

Jan. 18, 2012 at 4:51 pm :
Thanks, I'm glad you took the time to read it! Please share it with your friends and continue to rate/comment to help me out!

graysonftw said...
I loved your story! I loved the characters, the description, and the writing was SUPERB! It reeled me in and I appreciated how it wasn't about vampires or anything ridicolously overused. I hope you get this published and that it's adored much more than Stephenie Meyer. You're a truly gifted young author and I hope you go far in life.

Jan. 18, 2012 at 4:51 pm :
Thank you very much. I can't stand that woman's work, honestly, so your compliment means a lot to me! Please help me out by rating/commenting often and sharing the novel with your friends!

UNserieswriter said...
hi i just got two books approved in three days! please check them out and comment! The Underground Network and Roman Leagues are their names! I'll return the favor always!

Jan. 18, 2012 at 4:50 pm :
You've got it! I'll check them out right now, thanks for your comment!

UNserieswriter said...
this is actually one of the few good things i've read on here! it must be part of a longer 200 pg novel, right?

Jan. 18, 2012 at 4:49 pm :
Yes, the final manuscript is around 120,000 words. I'm currently looking for an agent.

applesauceHater said...
well this is my second time reading this:)i saw ur forum post. Loved it again. You're just a magician when it comes to words. Like the starting was just awesome and i could not stop reading till the end. U make me very jealous with ur skills:)i hope to be great as u one day!

Jan. 18, 2012 at 4:49 pm :
Thank you very much, I appreciate the kind words! Keep commenting/rating/sharing the novel!

Bloomberg said...
What a fantastic novel! I was really impressed, I look forward to more work from you!

Dec. 4, 2011 at 8:17 pm :
Thanks, keep checking back and please recommend the novel to your friends!

ShadowRealms said...
This book was amazing! It left my curiosity piqued and me wanting more. Normally I only read books that are fantasy and paranormal romance, so that is quite a compliment coming from me. Personally, I loved the characters and the amount of description-there wasn't too much or too little. I would really appreciate it if you read my book---Enemies of the ShadowRealms. 

Dec. 4, 2011 at 8:17 pm :
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it! Be sure to keep checking back for news and information about the final draft and the physical release of SuperNOVA! Keep rating, commenting, and recommending the novel to your friends! I'll be sure to check out your work :D

alaskanman said...
Dec. 2, 2011 at 10:23 am:
has this book been published yet? If so where is it being sold at, because i want to buy this book.