The Key to Finding

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Next »

Realization

Dacia Willowhaven had finished her roundabouts of the village and was heading back to the main square. She sighed, not in exasperation, but in anticipation.
After finishing hauling the supplies, she had gone and asked random villagers about the festival and anything about the prince. Although all the villagers knew about the festival, they explained that, since Deltoris was quite faraway from the palace, the king and queen had only visited once with their baby son, but no one knew what the prince looked like now. Dacia humbly thanked the villagers and was about to give up when an old woman hobbled over to her and shook her arm. Dacia turned curiously to the old woman.
“How may I help you, madam?”
The old woman's eyes gleamed as she croaked, “You are the girl who has been asking about our prince.” Dacia, surprised, nodded.
“Yes, I am. I suppose you know about him?”
The old woman smiled triumphantly and pointed a bony finger in the direction to the main square. Dacia looked in the direction of the finger as she listened to the old woman's instructions.
“There is a mural...it is a picture of the king and queen, with their young boy. Go and see if the boy in the mural matches the young boy that is venturing with you and the others...”
Dacia's eyed widened in shock at the old woman's words, turned around, and whispered, “How did you know?”...before stopping as she noticed the old woman had disappeared. Dacia looked around the crowd for any sight of the old woman, but she wasn't to be seen.
Shaking her head, Dacia strode in the direction the old woman had instructed her to: the main square.
Now at the main square, Dacia peered her eyes and searched for any huge paintings. Sure enough, at the far end of the main square, Dacia spotted a huge mural of a royal couple with the woman holding a baby in her arms. Dacia went up and studied the face of the baby. What she discovered made her blood run cold and she gasped in shock.
The baby in the painting, although younger, held a familiar resemblance in accordance to his face. The wild white hair, the blazing midnight blue eyes, the joy apparent in his smile...it couldn't be.
Stumbling back from the painting, Dacia desperately turned around and sought in vain for the face, only to find Zan walking back to the horses, his face twisted into an angry mask. But she couldn't care about that right now, not with the discovery she made! Quickly, Dacia ran to the grumbling nobleman. Giggling as she ran, she wondered how many more secrets she would discover on their trip.