The Key to Finding

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Next »

Mericenne's Observation

Mericenne smiled at the mercenary. She was a cunning woman after all then. She smiled as she and Xandelar complimented on the mercenary's cunning as well as her beauty. The mercenary, being a woman of flattery, graciously (yet with a little pride) accepted the comments with ease. However, a cough erupted from the nobleman and everyone turned to see what he wanted. Mericenne blinked. The expression that nobleman now held as he flitted his gaze from Dacia to the ground was one the caretaker had never seen.
Usually, the nobleman held faces of laziness and authority; at Xandelar, it was mostly just uncertainty (for he never knew how to deal with little kids); at her, it was always a heated clash between the two that always arose the reactions of anger and exasperation; and usually at the mercenary, it was discomfort or weariness.
Not this time.
The nobleman coughed again and the mercenary raised her eyebrows questioningly.
“Yes, what is it?”
The nobleman took a deep breath before gazing his mud brown orbs into Dacia's and stammered, “You look...beautiful.”
Xandelar, being a child, only beamed at the nobleman's words, but Mericenne, and especially Dacia, jerked back a little in surprise.
Mericenne watched with surprise as she studied the nobleman's face. His cheeks was tinged red and his eyes; it held emotions of surprise, awkwardness, nervousness...
She couldn't be certain, but was that last emotion...affection?
The caretaker turned to look at Dacia. Sure enough, the mercenary's reactions were also a bit of a surprise. Instead of the usual flattered grin, the girl's eyes were soft and her cheeks were also in flames.
Darting her eyes to the ground, Dacia Willowhaven whispered in an embarrassed yet modest tone completely unlike her character.
“T-thank you.”
As if noticing the tension, Xandelar screamed in Dacia's arms as he cried out for his caretaker. The embarrassed expressions on the Zan and Dacia disappeared as Zan looked in horror at the boy and Dacia hurriedly handed the child to Mericenne. When the child calmed down, Zan walked back to the horses and tied the reins of Dacia's mare as well as the reins of his own stallion to a post before striding back to the others..
Commanding with his once more authoritative tone, Zan ordered, “Well then, let's go and find supplies for the rest of this insanely long journey.”
Mericenne, with Xandelar still in her arms, followed after the nobleman as Dacia trailed behind.