What's Happening with the Big Blue? | Teen Ink

What's Happening with the Big Blue?

October 26, 2017
By SCosta BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
SCosta BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Normally this is my favorite time of year. The leaves fall, it gets cooler, and most importantly, football starts. Knowing I have games waiting for me every Thursday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday gets me through the week. Saturday is for college football which I actually find more enjoyable to watch this year than the NFL given the overall marginal level of play, the worst of which being my favorite team, the Giants. 


Before I delve into the core issues with the Giants, there are definitely some notable positives that deserve noting. First, over the past couple of years, the Giants have built one of the best wide receiving corps in the NFL. With their three outstanding receivers, Sterling Shepard, their most recent addition, Brandon Marshall, and all-star Odell Beckham Jr, the Giants have formed a wide receiving dynasty that is built for success. Similarly, the Giants’ first round draft pick this year has turned out great for them. Evan Engram is an efficacious player, who is probably the best receiving tight end in the league; a perfect fit for the Giants’ passing-based offense. Third and most notably, the Giants’ management has spent the last six years rebuilding our defense and it has finally come together. By investing a lot of money in their defense over the past couple of years, the Giants have formed an amazing defensive line, and brought in outstanding cornerbacks, specifically Janoris Jenkins, Eli Apple, and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, all-star safety Landon Collins, and most recently, Damian “Snacks” Harrison. Adding into the mix the their genius defensive coordinator, Steve Spagnuolo, calling spectacular coverages and elaborate blitzes, the defense should be unstoppable. Should be.      


It has become evident from the first couple of games that the Giants’ management were oblivious to the fatal flaw in their otherwise first-rate team. Clearly, the nadir of the team is the offensive line. It is incomprehensible why they built one of the best wide receiver corps and defenses in the NFL but did not put anything into their pathetic offensive line. The worst player on the offensive line by far was the Giants’ first round pick three years ago, Eric Flowers. Not only does he get beat nearly every play to practically any linebacker in the league, but he also causes the most penalty yards. He is so inept, he has to pull shirts, costing the Giants fifteen yards worth of penalties a game. Penalties have been killing the team ever since Flowers joined. Poor Eli Manning gets hit pretty much every play preventing him from throwing to our excellent wide receivers. Likewise, Eric Flowers’ incompetence is tainting Engram's exciting debut. Despite their exceptional defense, the dysfunctional offensive line causes the Giants’ defense to be on the field the majority of the game and often puts them in challenging situation due to turnovers. On top of this, there is a saboteur amongst us. Their so called head coach, Ben McAdoo, has been making horrendous play calls throughout the season and running the ball in clear passing situations considering our receivers. The running back, Paul Perkins, has to run behind the pathetic excuse for an offensive line. It is the most frustrating thing I have ever had to lay my eyes on and worst of all, I will watch it every week. It is like a burning car that I feel the need to watch every week.


So, what can be done? How can they turn around the team next year (since this year has already been flushed down the drain)? There are two main solutions. One, fire Ben McAdoo or at least take away play calling responsibility. Two, take the high draft picks that the Giants will inevitably receive due to their lousy excuse of a season and quickly invest in the offensive line over the offseason. As a fan, I will still watch and support the Giants, but I feel I am speaking for all Giants fans when I say we need change.


The author's comments:

I am Giants fan, and I am frustrated with the team.