MLL Players: Should They Be Paid More? | Teen Ink

MLL Players: Should They Be Paid More?

MLL stands for Major League Lacrosse. It’s what follows after college, same as the NFL, MLB, NBA, etc. But the difference between the MLL and those big professional sports is that MLL players average salary is between $10,000 and $30,000 (Average MLL salary search on google). The other salaries all are over 1 million dollars for the average (NFL/MLB/NBA average salaries on Google). People of course will be more familiar with basketball or baseball or football but lacrosse should be praised as much as those sports. That is because MLL players don’t practice as much as the other sports but still compete at a very high skill level, the players have a burning passion for the sport, and the players have to be able to create chemistry with their players in one practice.
To start things off, the other pro sports practice almost every day until their next game. With MLL it’s different. They have usually only 1 practice a week (Laxallstars). So they have to come up with some game plan in 1 practice that should be discussed in a full week of practice. If the game plan doesn’t work, the rest of the game is basically improv. That shows how skilled anyone would have to be, playing at the professional level. Because basically half of the game is all improv whether it’s cutting to the goal or dodging at random times to score. In other professional sports they aren’t like that at all. They go over the game plan and practice until their game. If the plan doesn’t work, they’re basically screwed.

MLL, to me, is a very different from those other pro sports. In like football, you’ll have those players that only do it for the money. The MLL is different because these players are giving up their summer weekends just to play lacrosse making $10,000-$30,000. Some people would be like, “That’s crazy and that’s a waste of time.” And that’s why lacrosse is so special. It’s the love of the sport these men have that thrives them to keep playing no matter how much they’re getting. For that, they should be paid as much as those other professionals.

To build team chemistry, it’s something you need time to do. The NFL, NBA, MLB, etc have so many practices to build it up. The MLL though, they maybe have one or two practices to get that chemistry then they’re thrown in a game. And it isn’t like they’re bad, they have the skill to build the chemistry that quickly. That’s an impressive skill that those other professionals don’t have. But for the MLL that is easily overlooked. Because of that they should be paid a lot more.

With all of this, and a lot more reasons, MLL players are way underappreciated. Lacrosse is an intense sport that is growing nationwide. With that, MLL players should start being paid more. Also, lacrosse is seen as a harder sport by a majority of people, than baseball or basketball or even football. I don’t have an opinion but with people saying this, it just goes to show how loved the sport is. And the main reasons that were touched on in the previous paragraphs were MLL players don’t practice as much as the other sports but still compete at a very high skill level, the players have a burning passion for the sport, and the players have to be able to create chemistry with their players in one practice.

MLL players should be paid more