Sports Are More Helpful Than Harmful for Young People | Teen Ink

Sports Are More Helpful Than Harmful for Young People

By KelseyKsddd BRONZE, Harleysvilla, Pennsylvania
KelseyKsddd BRONZE, Harleysvilla, Pennsylvania

In today's world the percent of adolescents with obesity has increased rapidly over just a few years. How can we prevent this? Sports. Sports keep young people healthy, it teaches them many different beneficial traits, and it provides them with good relationships and social activity. Sports can keep a kid off the couch all day and keep them engaged in the world. That’s why I believe that sports are more helpful than they are harmful for young people.

There are many different ways that sports keep adolescents healthy. In the article, What in the Name of High School Football? by Hank Hill, it says “the single greatest factor in preventing the nation's number one killer -heart disease- is regular and vigorous exercise”. This helps prove that sports have benefits when it comes to adolescents’ health.

Sports can also keep teach adolescents good habits. Many teens these days procrastinate, are unfocused, and lazy. In the article, Are High School Sports Good For Kids?, by Daniel Gould, he references a multiyear study conducted in Michigan that says, “children who participate in sports have increased educational aspirations, closer ties to school and increased occupational aspirations in youth”. This proves that young adults will gain great habits by participating in sports.

Participating in sports can also provide good relationships for young people. Many kids these days tend to exclude themselves from the world and lose interest in things. In the article, Are High School Sports Good For Kids?, by Daniel Gould he mentions the Study of Youth Sport’s investigation which says “outstanding high school coaches who were recognized for the character and citizenship building contributions to players we found that these individuals were highly successful (winning over 70% of their games.) They stressed winning, but never put winning before the personal and educational development of their players”. By keeping your child in sports you will provide them with beneficial relationships, including with coaches who can teach them the things said by the Study of Youth Sport investigation, even while being successful in their sport.
Some people might say that sports have rigorous schedules that stress teens out and are too much for them to handle when they also have school. But, actually having big schedules will teach teens to be able to manage their time better. This will help them prepare for college and life by keeping the habit of being responsible and on time.

I believe that sports are less damaging to young people and more helpful. Sports provide healthy relationships, teach teens great habits, and keeps them physically healthy. It's time people realize that sports are more beneficial for young people than they are harmful. Parents shouldn't be afraid to put their children in sports because of fear. Sports will benefit your child so much more than harm them.

I play a lot of sports so this was meaningful to me