Paddle Boarding: Why You Should Try It | Teen Ink

Paddle Boarding: Why You Should Try It

By schmimak BRONZE, Charles City, Iowa
schmimak BRONZE, Charles City, Iowa

Paddle boarding is simple and lots of fun! To paddle board you need only about 4 main things. You can paddle board almost anywhere with a body of water. Paddle boarding it not only fun, but it’s good for you too.

Learning to paddle board is very simple and it doesn’t take long to learn. All you need to paddle board is a life jacket, a paddle, a paddle board, and a body of water. First you’ll put the board in the water, and get on the board. It’s easiest if you put the board by a dock or something stable you can stand on so it’s easier to get on the board. To paddle you just simply push the paddle through the water as you standing on the board.  At first it might be kind of scary to stand on the board and paddle, so if you want you can sit on your knees. As you practice you will feel more comfortable being able to stand up and paddle at the same time. The more comfortable you get the more fun paddle boarding will be, and don’t give up if you do end up falling off. (it happens)

You can paddle board in many different places, basically anywhere with a body of water. When I go paddle boarding I go on a lake and that is a ton of fun. It’s cool getting to see all of the gorgeous views across the glistening water. (just watch out for the boats) There’s other places you can paddle board too like rivers, ponds, and even the ocean. You can even try it in multiple places to see which one you like best. Just do it wherever you find it the most fun. Paddle boarding is a very unique activity since it can be done in so many places.

Paddle boarding is not only tons of fun, but it’s a really good form of exercise. When you paddle board you’re getting a full body workout. Your arm muscles are used to push the paddle through the water, while your leg and core muscles are working to help you keep your balance. The health benefits don’t stop there, paddle boarding is also good for your mental health as well. It allows you to connect with nature and see some of the Earth’s natural beauty as your paddling across the water. You also feel less stressed because of the endorphins being released from exercise, and because the movement of the water tends to relax you.

I would definitely recommend trying paddle boarding. It’s a simple and fun activity that can be done in almost any body of water.  It’s unique and something different to try, so keep it in mind as you try different things this summer. I promise you’ll love it!

The first time I went paddle boarding I fell in love with it! I hope this article inspires others to try it too!