Youth Sports | Teen Ink

Youth Sports

By AvaVig BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
AvaVig BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

AvZig Ziglar a popular motivational speaker said, “The young athlete who aspires to greatness, generally speaking, learns a number of things from several different coaches. The first one taught him the fundamentals; the second one instilled discipline in him and taught him more of the techniques that must be mastered to excel.” Ziglar explained each performer learns something different from each unique coach. The children who play sports from a young age can take the advantageous lessons they learned with them for the rest of their lives. Children should participate in sports from a young age because they benefit from physical activities, learn valuable social skills, and gain confidence.

To begin with, participating in physical activity from a young age has shown that sports have many benefits. Kevin Kniffin, a teacher of leadership and management in sports at Cornell University, found research that student-athletes have been able to use their physical exercise they learned when playing a sport, to help them recover from stress, have more job satisfaction, and transition easier into later retirement. People everywhere get stressed all of the time. Taking the physical exercises learned from youth sports to help relieve one’s issues makes one's life easier. Furthermore, playing sports at a young age has many benefits. Amanda Davis a dietetic technician, registered, personal trainer and fitness instructor has discovered that children who play sports from a young age are more aware of exercise and how it can be fun and not a choir as they get older. They also will have more of an understanding of healthy foods, and what is good for their bodies. Learning how to fuel the body is one of the most important things one can learn from playing sports. Children playing sports are learning life lessons on how to keep themselves physically active and safe. In addition, research found by Donna L Merkel, a study was done in 2010 by Centers for Disease Control showed positive links between students who participated in high-level sports and improved academic achievement. With that, it also showed that the students had a decreased risk of heart disease and diabetes, and an improved weight control. Also, less psychologic dysfunction. Young students who participate in sports are preventing themselves from disease without even knowing. Children who can balance sports and school have an easier time balancing other things in their lives, such as keeping themselves physically healthy. In contrast, evidence has shown that 2.6 million people of the ages of 5-24 visit the emergency room each  year. There is a 70-80% attrition rate for children at the age of 15 (Merkel). Nevertheless, when a child is emitted into the hospital, they are taking something away from the situation. They can learn their limits, and how far to push themselves. If children learn their limits from a young age, they can prevent injury from happening as they get older. As shown above, when people think of children playing a sport they should think of the many physical benefits provided.

Next, while young athletes are benefiting from the physical activities given to them through sports, they also are learning valuable social skills. Studies using biodata have shown, “Men who participated in varsity-level high school sports an average of 60 years earlier appeared to demonstrate higher levels of leadership and enjoyed higher-status careers” (Kniffin). People who learn how to be apart of a team can interact with many different personalities. Working with the varied personalities gives one better social skills in the office, opposed to others who did not play a sport. Moreover, children can learn many social skills. They are put on a team with a group of children their own age, and they eventually have to talk and interact with them (Davis).  On a team, players must work together and learn to deal with the people one does not get along with. They are taking valuable social skills away from their sport. On the contrary, every year 35% of young athletes quit their sport they were currently playing. It has been found that 8% of high school coaches and  20 % of 2-4 million “little league” coaches do not have formal training (Merkel). However, something that these critics have failed to consider is that the children are still learning the valuable social skills just by interacting with coaches and teammates. The performers may not continue to participate in the sport but still take away the social skills. Again, having a child play on a youth sports team gives them the time to develop the key social skills that they will carry with them for the rest of their lives. Sports implant important skills needed to be used forever. Overall, it is extremely helpful to have good social skills, which playing a sport provides.

Lastly, adolescent athletes are benefiting from physical activity, useful social skills, and gaining confidence that is crucial to the rest of their lives.  Research has been found that  athletes at a higher level have more self-respect, better leadership skills, and show more self- confidence than students who did not participate in sports (Kniffin). Playing a sport should be rewarding, so when one scores a point, or beats their time, or performs perfectly they get that praise one desires. Correspondingly, The American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry advocates that parents should get involved and support their children while they play a sport. Children who participate in sports at a young age gain confidence and self-esteem. They benefit from encouragement and praise from teammates, coaches, and parents. Children learn to trust themselves and teammates and work to drive themselves to do better (Davis).  Having strong self-esteem and confidence will go with one for every part of their lives. In a like manner, research has found, “Girls who participate in sports are less likely to be depressed, more likely to reach higher academic goals, and demonstrate improved self-confidence and body image”(Merkel). From playing a sport girls learn self- confidence and healthy body image, which is important. People who feel better do better. On the other hand, some people believe children who start to play competitive sports have more stress, social pressures, and anxiety placed on them (Merkel). While performing the players feel the stress and pressures from their parents encouraging them to win. However, when a child is placed under stress or pressure they develop coping mechanisms from a young age. The children can use the mechanisms to deal with family, school, or work in a calm state of mind. Confidence is key in the way one presents one’s self to another. Given these points, children can learn the confidence needed at a young age from youth sports.

As aforementioned, children should participate in youth sports. People who began playing sports at a young age prospered from physical activity, grasped important social skills, and obtained confidence. The children who do not participate in sports will lose the opportunity to have the physical activity which leads to obesity. Without the praise from sports, children will not gain the confidence and social skills needed. Soon children will be the leaders of our world. Let the next generation be a healthier one.

Work Cited
Davis, Amanda. "Why Should Children Play Sports?" LIVESTRONG
, 12 Aug. 2013. Web. 25 Apr. 2016.
.
Kniffin, Kevin. "High School Athletes Gain Lifetime Benefits." New York Times. New York
Times Company, 22 Oct. 2014. Web.
.
Merkel, Donna L. "Youth Sport: Positive and Negative Impact on Young Athletes." Open Access
Journal of Sports Medicine. Dove Medical Press, n.d. Web. 28 Mar. 2016.
.