It’s OK to Lose | Teen Ink

It’s OK to Lose

By Rogateeeeer BRONZE, Columbus, New Jersey
Rogateeeeer BRONZE, Columbus, New Jersey

Someone please tell me, what is the point of a championship game if there is no winner? I can see where some people are coming from, if they’re just little kids playing tee ball for their first time, then no they shouldn’t keep score and they shouldn’t have a championship game. But around the time of second and third grade, when kids are starting to take sports seriously, then yes they should.

I see that side, but it still doesn’t make sense to me why Americans have to wrap their kids in bubblewrap and hold their hand through life. The whole point of sports is to have fun, and to determine a winner and a loser. To see who’s better. So when someone signs up for a sport, they are taking the chance that they may lose, badly. Why do parents not get that? They just complain and say, “You shouldn’t keep score because it makes my little boy feel worthless.” In reality, losing is a part of sports that is for some reason looked upon as wrong. Losing doesn’t feel good, but it’s a part of life. So why not teach that to kids through sports rather than later on in life when it’s too late? I don’t like losing either, but it teaches a valuable lesson that can be carried with someone throughout life. It teaches resilience, the ability to critique yourself, and that life isn’t all sunshine and rainbows.
Personally, I think it is important to win and lose in life. If someone loses, they will know what to change so that next time they will be more likely to win! That’s how things done. It’s just like what Thomas Edison said, “I have not failed, I have just found 1,000 ways that don’t work.” Even the great Thomas Edison agrees that it’s okay to lose sometimes. It keeps us in reality because if you win all the time, it loses its meaning. No pun intended. I just don’t see why people would sign up and commit to a sport if they can’t even win the big trophy everyone dreams of having. There’s a reason why people go up against other people in sports, and the reason is that someone must lose and someone must win.