To Be a Writer | Teen Ink

To Be a Writer

February 13, 2016
By A.Marcus DIAMOND, Landing, New Jersey
A.Marcus DIAMOND, Landing, New Jersey
86 articles 11 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same."
-Emily Bronte

"A shadow is the most loyal friend."
-Amanda Marcus


Being a writer is something to be proud of, even if others may call you a coward.  Others may say that when you choose the pen over the sword, it means that you are too afraid to stand up for yourself.  The thing is, it’s not like that at all. 


Writers are fighters, and sometimes I think we have more courage than any soldier does.  A writer’s job is to be heard.  Whether we put our messages into a fictional plot or into a long ranting review, we are trying to be heard. 
And you know why we aren’t cowards?  Do you know why even though we don’t speak these messages we aren’t cowards?  When we write something down, we put our name on it.  And once our names are out there, they stay out there for all to see.


We don’t feel the shame that drives others to fight for their reputation.  We don’t run away from the feelings we feel or try to hold it all in.  We express what we feel, experience, and believe to anyone who will listen.  We hold our heads high and put ourselves out there with every bit as much confidence as anyone else might believe those who choose the sword have.  We aren’t cowards.  We aren’t losers.  We aren’t hiding.


We don’t hide our fear behind a wall of aggression.  We don’t take out our pain on others.  We don’t fight with our fists.  We fight with words that can be three times as powerful as any punch.  Some say that a picture can be worth a thousand words, but one word… one thought is worth a thousand angry actions.


Writing is a proud thing.  It’s something that a hero might do.  You can do so much with an opinion and a thought, so write it down and get it out there.  We chose the pen because the sword wasn’t a strong enough weapon.  We chose to be heavy hitters.  Being a writer is something to be proud of, even if others may call you a coward.


The author's comments:

Thinking about the amount of times that I've heard classmates talk about writers hiding behind a flimsy piece of paper got me thinking.  There is a saying.  "The pen is mightier than the sword."  You know what?  That saying is 100% "write."