Females & Baseball? | Teen Ink

Females & Baseball?

By Hailee_Holcomb BRONZE, Springfield, Ohio
Hailee_Holcomb BRONZE, Springfield, Ohio

Before females play softball, they start off in a little league baseball team. So why do they have to convert to softball? Most ask but do we have an answer?

[Source: Yahoo Answers] Most people say that females can’t play because a girl can’t hit the ball far enough, or it won’t make money. That shouldn’t matter. Women are actually very talented. So why can’t the MLB and teen league’s realize that? Females should not be held accountable for a stereotype that says that they can’t hold the same expectations as men.

According to “A League of Their own” women can play baseball in the U.S. “A League of Their Own” is based on a true story. In the story a young lady named Dottie Hinson attends the opening of the new All- American Girls Professional Baseball League. She makes the team and ends up playing baseball. So why isn’t there a Professional League for females today?

I personally think that women should have their own Professional Baseball league. I believe that females could actually surprise you by what they are capable of doing. I don’t think its fair that females are being underestimated. Just because a man doesn’t make the MLB doesn’t mean a woman can’t.

[Source: ESPN] Justine Siegal is the first woman to coach first base for the MLB. “There’s no reason why a woman can’t be a knuckleball pitcher in major league, I think we will see in the next 15 years.” Siegal explained.  Mike Veek (signed borders for his St. Paul Saints) Think’s the first woman to make it to the MLB will play second base.

I think that all women should get the chance to try and reach theirdreams and strive for what they want, but with all the negative comments about females playing in the MLB, is it possible? To all the girls who want to be able to play, get out there, sign up, and prove those who underestimated you wrong!

Why was inspierd to write this becuase of all the negitive comments about girls and baseball.