I Believe | Teen Ink

I Believe

January 13, 2016
By JBaseball BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
JBaseball BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Sports run on confidence, drive, dedication, and a strong will to work hard.  Your mental standpoint during any athletic competition or even just a practice can dictate how you are going to perform.  The fact that your performance can be dictated by a simple thought is remarkable to me.  The mental aspect of sports is impossible to avoid.  You can practice each day and physically prepare for your sport however, if you ignore the mental side of any competition you will not reach your full  potential.  Your thoughts can change everything in just a blink of an eye.
   

My baseball hitting coach once told me to tell myself every at bat in practice and the game to visualize yourself hitting a homerun.  I did not quite understand until years later what he meant and why he told me to do this.  I later realized that if you picture yourself winning the race or hitting a homerun and you have a profound belief, nothing can stop you from getting it done and achieving your dreams.
   

Upon walking and stepping into the batter's box, I close my eyes.  I step towards the ball in a steady powerful motion, then I initiate the turning of my legs.  My arms flow towards the ball and all I hear is the crack of the bat...I have hit the ball and I have left no doubt.  However, I never left that warm up circle, but I was able to ensure myself that I will get it done because I believe.  I was able to visualize every part of my swing, which tells my body what it can do.
   

 When I approach a challenge in the classroom or a sport, I simply close my eyes, and whisper to myself that “I can do it!” and with the right mindset, I accomplish the task at hand.  Ranging from tests to sports, I have found that belief can carry you to your accomplishment of any thing.  These brief images and words that you tell yourself can help thrust you forward to success.  The only way you will succeed is if you believe.