Why Will Smith Shouldn't Deter You from Playing Football | Teen Ink

Why Will Smith Shouldn't Deter You from Playing Football

January 8, 2016
By CanyGrams BRONZE, Roslindale, Massachusetts
CanyGrams BRONZE, Roslindale, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Hello?"- Shofu


Football is what seems as a staple of American society, and  it’s arguably the most important sport representing high schools across the nation. Playing sports is a vital part of high school society. Media has generally made us believe that popularity = football. This “football pipeline”. This could be argued to be true in real life but in my own life I’ve found it’s not an air of popularity but an air of pride. Yet on the topic of real life there is a big problem with playing football: Football is also one of the leading causes of major head injury and death. These trends are consistent on both varsity and JV teams, and this is why parents are deciding that they don’t want their kids to play football. They want their children to progress healthily. I disagree. Children should play Football because it allows them to  grow greater mentally and physically.

When I talk about this “pipeline” I mean play well in high school, play in the NFL and play on that level professionally means a better life without the hardships of school life. This initiates this “jock” culture, a culture where the player grows this massive ego. It can be great for the player’s confidence now that it's equated to their ability, yet this self- worth often gets to one’s head. Like, “What do trivial things like school and artistic pursuits have to do with how many yards I can run the ball?” Another example is: “Why would I need to do weak s*** like chemistry when no one can push me back on the line?” These statements, however generic and exaggerated, still paint a picture of what society views as an American Football player: body only made to play the game.


I do not agree with this “jock” culture that football merely shuts the mind off from academics and art. Rather it helps our youth find and cultivate a sense of direction. High school football players all want to be in the NFL; players constantly worship their favorite teams, team members, and even coaches; they want to play the game like them. They strive for the top spot. High school is a place for you to gain new experiences and find what you'll study in college and if you're anything like me, you still haven't found it. Football players have the drive to pursue and all the facets of this sport: playmaking, tackles, catching, running the ball; all of these things for the win of a game. And this same drive and goal oriented thinking is great for high school.

Now I understand some confusion: “What does a out of shape looking guy like me have to do with a beefcake Football player?” Or maybe, “How do the directionless teens I've described learn direction?” Allow me to answer. Football players have this direction instilled into them though discipline. Your average teen is someone who shows rebellion, dislike of authority, and narcissism.  Football players may at first showcase these behaviors but when they’re on the field the player, if they continue to do so, they won't ever be able to play. Every teammate from lineman to quarterback is needed to execute every play, so important that if anyone one of them exudes the said ideals, the team cannot win the game. Football is the definition of a team sport; it teaches our youth to think outside themselves and to better the people around them.

What I’ve said are all emotional benefits, little personality choices that may fade after graduation. There are many that will argue there are more important issues that these players take with them even after graduation: mental injury. Football players no matter the position are at risk and parents everywhere pull their children away from the sport due to fear of their children being injured. But there is perhaps a benefit to being so close to danger: the player learns a lesson in mortality and being careful.

So in conclusion despite being depicted as being a negative to a child’s well being regarding to the player’s psyche and body, I believe football actually grows the child. Children should play football because it gives our youth a goal achievement oriented mindset, leadership skills, and mindfulness of one’s morality- being self aware. These are skills needed to keep the new generation alive and thriving.


The author's comments:

I may be baised because I haven't suffered a concussion.