College Athletes Should Not Be Paid | Teen Ink

College Athletes Should Not Be Paid

January 8, 2016
By TreyP BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
TreyP BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

College athletes ask for  pay in sports and want to know why they are not getting paid. Basketball and football are just two of the sports for which students are asking to get paid. Students should not be paid for college athletics because no one told them that they have to play sports, if they want to get paid that badly they should get a job, and the college gave them a full scholarship to even play for the school.

One reason why student athletes should not be paid to play sports is because no one told them to play sports in college. One thing is no one has some real control over them but themselves. Once the students go to college they are offical grow up and can make their own choices. Another thing is if they get a scholarship they don't have to  take it if they don't want to. Students can make their future how they want, maybe they want to get a degree in something like science. The last thing is that if people are forcing them to go they are it is not their right to tell them how to live their life. If it's a coach, player, friend, anybody they can only give them advice because when students are 18 the are offical adults and get to live life their own way. Why should college athletes be paid when no can force them to do that.


Another reason why college athletes should not be paid is because if they want to get paid so badly they should get a job.One thing is college athletics are not jobs they are actives. Basketball is more of an activity in elementary school all the way through college. The only time when it becomes more of a job is in the NBA just because they get paid. Another reason why student athletes should just get a job is because there is a bunch of jobs out there willing to pay them. Like one job is a fitness instructor so they can stay in shape and can even get better so they can get in the NBA so they can get paid. Plus it gives them really good pay for a college student. The next reason is why should people pay them if they're not willing to work. Armstrong Williams, an American political commentator said “Last year, the National College Players Association released a report called “The price of Poverty in Big Time College Sports.” Their report concluded that 86 percent of college athletes live below the poverty line.”(“Time to Pay College Athletes”) That means that only 14 percent are above the poverty line. So if college athletes want to get paid so badly why don't they just get a job.


The last reason why students shouldn't be paid is because they got a full scholarship. One thing is scholarships are not cheep. Lynn O'Shaughnessy, an atheistic expert said “The average athletic scholarship is about $10,400”(O’Shaughnessy). If that's the average price then the highest price is probably like $20,000. Another thing about get a scholarship for sports is it is not something that is just to push away. Most students would love to get a scholarship. Some families don't even have enough money to get food every month and they have to live off food stamps. And it is rare to get a scholarship anyways. The next thing about scholarships is that the athletes are good enough to maybe go pro. The athletes are good and if they go pro they can get as much as 5.2 million dollars(NBA). That's why they shouldn't get paid is because they get a full scholarship.


College athletes should get paid because they work hard and they are trying just as hard as pros. Most college athletes play the game because it's their dream. Why should they get paid for something that they want to do. Other people say that they if they keep their grade up and are really good at playing the game they should get paid. They need to have good grade to pass the class, and they try their hardest at what they want to do. They are people who say that money is a reward for good work. One thing is money is apart of the world problem. Good work should be a reward by itself. Athletes works hard to do what they love and don't need anything for doing that.
In conclusion, no one told them they need to play sports, they can always get a job,and the college gave them a scholarship. Most college will stop paying their athletes. They don't need that money because they can just get a job. Students will start getting jobs and playing sports. So then you won't need to waste money on them because they are already making it.

 

 

Work cited
   
O’Shaughnessy, Lynn. “7 Things You Need to Know About Sports Scholarships.” US News & World Report. N.p., 22 June 2010. Web. 5 Jan. 2016.
“Time to Pay College Athletes.” Newsmax. N.p., 9 Apr. 2014. Web. 5 Jan. 2016.