Should Drugs Be Allowed in Sports | Teen Ink

Should Drugs Be Allowed in Sports

By lopesd BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
lopesd BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana

Baseball player Alex Rodriguez has been found taking drugs in sports. More and more of our star athletes have been found using drugs while playing sports, and it is getting out of hand. Not only is the use of drugs in sports bad to do, it is banned in all sports. Drugs should not be used in sports because it could put a bad reputation on the athlete using the drugs (or the whole team), it is unfair to the other team, and it may put your health at a risk.
First, the use of drugs in sports may put a bad reputation on the athletes. “...and that athletes who use them are cheaters who gain an unfair advantage and violate the spirit of competition, and send the wrong message to children.”(Drug Use in Sports - ProCon.org ) Using these drugs might give kids the ‘okay’ that the use of drugs in sports are fine.  Especially to the kids looking up to that specific athlete. When the child gets older,  he/she might start taking drugs themselves because their athlete they look up to, did it also.Kids often think when they see their role model using, gives them the ‘I can do it too’.(Drug Use in Sports - ProCon.org )It is bad enough the role model is using drugs, but then the kids start to because of them. This is just one reason drugs should not be used in sports.

Next, drugs should not be allowed in sports because is it is unfair to the other teams. “This breaks the social contract athletes have implicitly agreed to: We are going to have fair contest. There are things we can and cannot do. Even if there is a safe performance-enhancing substance, if it were not available, to everybody using it would still be cheating.”(Drug Use in Sports - ProCon.org )The athletes taking these drugs are breaking the implicitly they agreed to follow. Most players do not use drugs to be as equal as the other players, but to get a farther start. Use of drugs (such as steroids) will make the player stronger so he can be undefeated. The athletes will be 10x stronger then all the other players making it harder for them. Being 10x (or higher) stronger  will make the other players work even harder and it could hurt the both of them.(Drug Use in Sports - ProCon.org ) That is another reason drugs shouldn’t be used in sports.

Finally, drugs should not be used in sports because it may put your health at risk. “Simply put, PED’s have the ability or potential to drastically alter the human body and biological functions including the ability to considerably improve athletes performance in certain instances.”(Effects of Performance-Enhancing Drug...)Not only will you have consequences drugs in sports, but there can be life threatening situation. Something may get stuck in the heart, which may cause a heart attack. If something gets trapped in the brain, the person could have a stroke. (Effects of Performance-Enhancing Drug...)Heart attacks and strokes can both kill you. Heart attacks may stop half of the heart. Strokes may paralyze half of your body. Using the drugs may also cause other things including stopping puberty by closing the growth plates.(Effects of Performance-Enhancing Drug...)When using steroids, you may get taller or shorter than you were expecting to be. Drugs in sports should not be used because your health may be at risk.

Many people may disagree with my opinion by saying drugs should be aloud in sports. People may say it's unfair because people are born taller and stronger, so why not take those drugs to be like them. Here's one way around drugs. You can workout and train so you can still be a strong and healthy player. Another reason they could disagree, everybody already does it, why not let it be? If we ALL use drugs, we would all just be 10x times stronger than we were before. Why not just stay the same?  People say there is still a chance you won't get sick or hurt using these drugs. The percentage of it hurting you is higher than the percentage of it not. No drugs in sports is still a better idea than using drugs in sports.

As you can see, drugs in sports should not be aloud because athletes will have a bad reputation, it is unfair, and it may put your health at risk. Next time you are playing a sport, rethink a new way to get strong, while avoiding drugs!

“Sports and Drugs” Dec. 2015
http://sportsanddrugs.procon.org/
“Effects of Performance enhancing drugs” Dec 2014
http://www.usada.org/substances/effects-of-performance-enhancing-drugs/