Is Golf a Sport? | Teen Ink

Is Golf a Sport?

By Mbuck BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
Mbuck BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

My freshman year I started playing golf, I had never played before except for mini-golf, and I thought to myself how hard could it be. It turns out it is rather difficult, after two years of practicing and playing I still have a lot of room of improvement. Now the question has been asked and debated many times among sportswriters, in bars and even on the course. As someone who plays golf, I say it is. For one thing, golf meets the definition for a “sport” and has been recognized as a sport by athletic associations and the media. It may not be the most physical sport, but that doesn’t mean that it is not a sport.

By definition, a sport is “an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual competes against others for entertainment.” (Oxford Dictionary) Golf requires more skill than one might think and it takes more than just swinging a club and seeing how far the ball goes. Professionals must be able to hit the ball consistently all the while adjusting for depth and range, a skill they must work hard to perfect. Similar to tennis, the swing is controlled movement to direct the ball in a specific direction and determined distance. If the golf swing isn’t done properly the player ends up either taking a chunk out of the grass or the ball only goes a few feet, (trust me, I have done both.) Golf may not seem like a very physical sport, but if the player is walking the course they end up walking four to five miles, sometimes six depending on the course and factor in carrying the golfers’ bags weighing anywhere from 30 to 50 pounds. (Dealer) There is competition in golf, whether it’s beating your partner or just the course itself. The drive to win is there as soon as you walk up to the first tee. The competition is just more subtle (“a gentleman’s” game) than in big contact sports like football or baseball.

On top of just meeting the definition of a sport, golf has also been recognized as a sport by many athletic associations and media. The Olympics, the ultimate sporting event, in 1900 and 1904 included Golf in its games. After being absent for 112 years, the Olympics is bringing Golf back starting in 2016 (Procon.org). Thanks to golfers like Tiger Woods, golf has become a big-money game. Tiger made, through the end of the 2014 season, just over $109 million, on the PGA tour alone. (Kelley) But that doesn’t include sponsors. Many sporting goods companies like Nike and Adidas sponsor many of the professional golfers. They pay real big money to have their clothes on those players. Tiger’s hat is part of a clothing deal with Nike worth $29 million a year (Mygolfspy.com).
It has been argued that Golf is not a sport because players can ride in a cart instead of walking; they use the example of professional golfers who out of shape and overweight, and that caddies carry their bags for them. Some have also argued that if golfers can still be competitive, pass the age of “peak athleticism” than it shouldn’t be a sport. Golfers who play a nine-hole course, walking and carrying their own clubs, burn about 721 calories. Professional tournaments usually have four rounds of 18 holes, and that would be about, 4,904 calories burned over four days. That also doesn’t include what they burn practicing for the tournament. Yes, it’s not as physical as say, track and field, but it is still physical activity. Youth does not define sports, many golfers win most of their tournaments after the age of thirty. Tom Watson almost won the British Open, at age 59 in 2009. (Procon.org) Age is of no consequence, sometimes being older is an advantage because then, as a player, you have more experience. That is also why golf is such a popular sport, because it can be played, and even mastered at any age! Not many sports can boast that!

In conclusion, I must say golf is, in fact, a sport; not just by definition, but as someone that plays golf, I have first-hand knowledge of the skill, physical requirements and the challenge of the “sport.” Some golfers may be older or over-weight but, it doesn’t mean that it’s not a sport. The professionals must be able to drive the ball really far but still hit with accuracy and aim, as well as making long putts and other small details that go into playing the game. To accomplish that takes constant practice and work. That is why golf is a sport, but if you still don’t believe me go try it for yourself.

Dealer, Bill Lubinger. "Inside the Life of a PGA Caddie." N.p., 03 Aug. 2011. Web. 05 May 2015.
Kelley, Brent. "Tiger Woods Career Earnings." N.p., n.d. Web. 05 May 2015.
"Is Golf a Sport? - ProCon.org." ProConorg Headlines. N.p., n.d. Web. 05 May 2015.
"Oxford Dictionaries - Dictionary, Thesaurus, & Grammar." Oxford Dictionaries - Dictionary, Thesaurus, & Grammar. N.p., n.d. Web. 08 May 2015.
"How It Works – “PGA Player Endorsements”." MyGolfSpy RSS. N.p., n.d. Web. 19 May 2015