Shoeless Joe Jackson | Teen Ink

Shoeless Joe Jackson

May 18, 2015
By Buckshot BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Buckshot BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
.300 is good batting average


“I ain’t afraid to tell the world that it didn’t take school stuff to help a fella play ball” thats a quote from Shoeless Joe Jackson. Joe Jackson you may have recognised that name from a movie called “Field Of Dreams” with Kevin Costner, and James Earl Jones. So you probably guessed that I was going to talk about either Shoeless Joe Jackson or “Field Of Dreams”, but i’m going to talk about Shoeless Joe, his career, the 1919 black sox, and why I think he should be in the Hall of Fame.

 

I’ll start in the years of Joe’s youth. Joe was born July 9, 1887 in Brandon Mills, South Carolina. Growing up he and his family never had money, so he couldn’t go to school and never knew how to read or write. According to biography.com in his early teenage years he got his nickname “Shoeless” because while he was playing a baseball game and he forgot his spikes, and during the game he hit a bases clearing triple with no cleats so thats how he got his nickname Shoeless Joe Jackson acording to ShoelessJoeJackson.org. He play from 1908 until 1919 when they kicked him out of baseball.


The 1919 Black Sox were a heavy favorite to win the 1919 world series. They lost to the Cincinnati Reds. It all started when Charles Comiskey the owner of the Chicago White was underpaying his player such as Shoeless Joe Jackson who was only paid $6000 a year according to law2.umkc.edu. But should he not be in the world series?
Joe and seven other teammates were given a large sum of money to throw the world series by some gamblers. But according to history.com he had no errors 12 hit and a batting average of .375. Which stood until 1964. I think it was almost a nice thing to do to let the Cincinnati Reds win. It seemed they just looked at the world series not their careers. Like in Joe’s case if he was one of the best baseball players to ever live and never get the chance to be in the Hall Of Fame. I don’t thats fair.


That quote is 100% true, I’m to get to having fun doesn’t takes any school stuff because baseball is fun. I like the history of baseball so this case of the Joe Jackson and the 1919 Black Sox fit perfectly. This is mostly on Joe Jackson and his childhood and his career, why he should be in the Hall Of Fame, and who were part of the Black Sox. If you still don’t think he should be in the Hall Of Fame you’re entitled to an opinion. Now I hope have a little idea about this scandal and  have your own opinion on it.