Steroids | Teen Ink

Steroids

By jakeolcott24 BRONZE, Oswego, Illinois
jakeolcott24 BRONZE, Oswego, Illinois

"picture this im chillin' on mars"

Your body naturally produces some steroids, to help you fight stress and grow bigger. But your body knows just the right amount that you need, so there's no need to take any extra. There's also a type of medicine called steroids that people might take if they have pain, asthma, or a skin problem. But these aren't the kind of steroids getting attention in sports. When people say steroids, they often mean illegal anabolic steroids. Anabolic steroids are artificially produced hormones. The most powerful of these is testosterone steroids can be taken in the form of pills, powders, or injections. Anabolic steroids are always illegal, meaning that you could get arrested for buying, selling, or taking them.

Steroids are used in the sports world to get bigger so you can increase your performance. However in the long run steroids build up a range of long term problems that show up in adulthood. However there isn’t just long term problems there is immediate problems like acne, weight gain, hair loss, and strain on the heart. Also Steroids can be taken by a needle and if you share needles you can get infected or get blood poisoning. Also if you are an athlete and you fail the drug test because of steroids you are banned from the league and your whole entire sports career is over. Many professional athletes over the last two decades have been subjected to humiliation after it was revealed that they used steroids to gain a competitive edge.

There is more than one reason, but the main concern is the physical and emotional damage that these drugs can do to those who use them. With a valid prescription, it is perfectly legal to possess and use these drugs. Many athletes have used steroids because of its ability to rapidly increase the body's capacity for muscle development, and the competitive advantage this gives them. However, steroids can be very dangerous to those not under the constant supervision of a doctor who actually need an increase in testosterone to treat some medical condition.
Everybody knows the official reason why steroids are banned from sports: they’re dangerous and endorse unfair competition among athletes. Those who are caught using are labeled as cheaters and suffer severe consequences. Many sports careers have ended because of using them. The truth, however, is that steroids never left sports, despite being “banned”. They remain in the sports world. To prevent this, the league should do more drug tests in order to catch these cheaters. People who use steroids are cheaters and will never be seen as a good player no matter how good they are.

To conclude, Steroids should remain illegal and in order to keep them banned there should be drug tests more often. In order to keep this drug out of the league more precautions should be taken because these drugs are ruining the league.