Legendary Anniversary | Teen Ink

Legendary Anniversary

By Timothy Salas BRONZE, Houston, Texas
Timothy Salas BRONZE, Houston, Texas

Astrodome the 8th wonder of the world celebrated its 50th anniversary. Many as 25,000 people came to celebrate and remember its amazing history. The Astrodome was home to 2 playoffs in the late 90’s, and had many events such as MLB, NFL, NCAA football games, championship boxing , etc. Astrodome was the first multi-purpose stadium, breaking ground on January 3, 1962 it was completed in November the same year . Hall of famer Craig Biggio, AKA Mr.3,000, once played in the Astrodome in the playoffs and was happy to be part of history. The Dome wasn’t closed until 2006 last used by the Rodeo in 2002.The Dome had more than 4 million people visit each year, but now all it does now is collect dust, rats, and mold all in the shadows of NRG. The celebration showed that people still care and want it to be there with more people arriving than the Astros playing.  There were words said and a Dome shaped cake, afterwards the people got a chance to walk on a carpet and witness what many did before . The Dome wasn’t just something to play with; it was the dreams of many who wanted baseball to come to Houston and enjoy the fact that they helped out. Many people call it the “ 8th wonder of the world”  yet there is another proposal to demolish by the Texans. There were many people who got to celebrate the greatness of the Astrodome, Were you one of them?