Under the Lights | Teen Ink

Under the Lights

By Hunter97 BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
Hunter97 BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio

Starting in June for a season ending in November seems to be a little ridiculous, however, for one of America’s favorite sports, many are willing to give their time for it.  These long summer days bring sweat and pain to all individuals who participate.  The payoff is on Friday nights in September and October. 

In the locker room darkness, the Pilots listen to heavy rock before we head to field.  Here, the team becomes mentally and physically ready for the battle.  Gearing up, the team reviews what they have to accomplish and what goals need to be reached.  The coaches yell and all rise immediately.  The lights ignite and the Pilots begin their journey hand-in-hand to the field.  Waiting, the tunnel of fans begins to roar.  From here, the team has a football speech before they rush through the tunnel.  Fans roar and teammates rally, the Pilots are ready for kickoff.  The rush of the crowd fills one’s body with the sound of the first whistle.  Looking towards the sideline, coaches signal in plays with their hands and teammates relay them to one another.  Set, ready, hike yells the quarterback.  Rehearsed like a musical, the Pilots carry through their duties to score.  The jet takeoff on the speakers echoes across our small town as the team races into the end zone.  The feeling after a score is sure relief and excitement as praise is given around to all the players.  Back on the field, the team is ready for defense sending in new personnel.  This switching of players keeps the team fresh and uninjured.  With a strong hold on the opposition, the ball is back in the Pilot’s hands.  There, they continue the same actions as previously done to victory.  When all is over, the Pilots join for pilot jacks around the “A”.  This feeling under the lights is comparable to none other and all who experience it would relive it in a heartbeat.