Sports as a Teaching Method | Teen Ink

Sports as a Teaching Method

By alexishj_26 SILVER, Crown City, Ohio
alexishj_26 SILVER, Crown City, Ohio

"The things you are passionate about are not random. They are your calling." -Fabienne Fredrickson

High school sports has taught me so many valuable things I will never forget. Sports instilled dedication in me more than any other trait. There were times during my sporting events that training became very difficult. A couple of times I thought of giving up. Instead, I pushed myself to limits I thought I could never achieve. A great sense of accomplishment and confidence became evident after I overcame what I thought were my limits.

Confidence is the next thing I found to be important by playing sports. You must believe in yourself and be confident in what you do. If you are not confident in yourself, as well as your actions, how can you stand up for what you believe in?   Confidence is a very important value I know I will need in college along with the rest of my life.

The most important thing I learned from my long history in sports is team work. I am a very independent young women. Sports have shown me that every now and then you need others skills and guidance. Not everything can be done by yourself, sometimes you must accept others help. This is a lesson I will use daily in the future.
I have gained many other things from athletics, more than I can fit in this 280 word essay. If I can get one thing across, it is that sports are not for mindless jocks. Sports should be used to shape young men and women into strong and confident citizens for the future.

This is about my high school sporting experience.