Sports Psychology | Teen Ink

Sports Psychology

December 30, 2014
By JRD45 SILVER, Osprey, Florida
JRD45 SILVER, Osprey, Florida
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

 I can’t do this. The single inhibiting thought that keeps the body from achieving its full potential. The greatest motivator can also lead to an athlete’s greatest downfall. The brain’s ability to utterly halt and stop the body so close to a finish line, so close to a goal, is phenomenal.


Even the greatest athletes suffer through mental blocks and breakdowns that force them into a slump, into foul play and even into depression. Only the most honed athletes are able to conquer these internal forces and strive for the gold.


Yet, how can an individual overcome these unpleasant obstacles, go above and beyond mediocrity, and turn the negative into the positive? Some athletes say it comes natural, while others use their competitive nature to push through the struggle and come out on top.


Every athlete has a role model that has conquered adversity, led the team, or played an important role in a victory. These role models teach the common athlete to aim high and teach them the importance of hard work and thinking simply.


There comes a point and time during a race or near the end of the game where the body is screaming to stop and the brain chooses either to consent with the body or ignore it and continue on the path of pain to the last second, the last inch, the last goal.


If the athlete chooses to listen to the body, it’s over. The athlete will stop abruptly and may cost the game or the race. Though the physical pain will discontinue, the mental agony of letting the team down or losing the race will torment the athlete sometimes for years.


However, if the athlete is able to ignore the body’s pleads, victory is bound to entail. Not only will the athlete feel accomplished but he or she will have beaten the toughest enemy, oneself. This is why the mind is the greatest organ, the greatest creation, the greatest nemesis. One can only hope to have a strong will and listen to the brain instead of the body.