Iron Horse vs Natural Beauty | Teen Ink

Iron Horse vs Natural Beauty

December 17, 2014
By Tristan Mero BRONZE, Mariposa, California
Tristan Mero BRONZE, Mariposa, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

 Many people believe that horses are useless creatures nowadays. They believe that people should no longer ride them, and that a dirt bike is the new “iron horse”. They can’t comprehend why anyone would ride a horse. While I see their point that technology is becoming greatly enhanced, riding horses teaches people so many qualities they will use in their life, as well as brings many people joy. While motor bikes do bring joy and adrenaline, horses bring so much more to the table than bikes. They teach people how to care for animals, teach them compassion and sympathy as well as helps with one’s physical attributes. What does a motor bike do? Absolutely nothing.


When someone rides a horse they get so much more out of it, than if they were to ride a motorcycle. Anyone can sit on a piece of metal and hold the throttle down and steer. That’s the problem with Americans today, they just take the easy path out. When someone rides a horse they are required to have balance just to stay on the horse, as well as leg muscle to post during endurance or do jumping. It also requires a person to be aware when they are riding and make a connection with the horse. There is no connection with a metal machine. It does everything you tell it and no more. There is an excitement to riding horses, the excitement of the unknown and you cannot achieve that on a motorized vehicle. When you ride a horse, you are forced to pay attention to the trail in front of you, every movement and twitch of muscle the horse does, as well as signals the horse is putting out to you. Now of course people will say that when you ride a bike you have to watch the trail, as well as listen for the bike breaking down, but it can’t compare to  having a living, breathing, 1,000 pound animal in your control.


Many people will argue that motor cross provides excessively more adrenaline and is much funner. I disagree with that. While riding a motorbike is a good thrill, you will never find the thrill that you get when you feel the horses muscles tense up, or when your heart leaps into your mouth when the horse starts bucking, or the feeling like you’re soaring when you jump over those poles. Nothing can compare to that feeling of the massive muscles of the horse tense up and you have no idea what is coming. Don’t believe me? try it yourself. It is the most amazing experience ever and horse riding has forever changed my life. It gives me respect for truly how beautiful and amazing horses really are. People judge the sport when they have never even tried riding a horse or being around one. They don’t realize how intelligent and majestic horses really are.