Football | Teen Ink

Football

By Whatcem SILVER, İstanbul, Other
Whatcem SILVER, İstanbul, Other

"Life is short, birds are flying."
-Cemal Süreya

First of all, football is not just a “sport”. It’s a passion. I’ve been playing it for years and there is not a single moment I regret to play or get bored. All people have preferences, some of them may not like it, may find it masculine or even racist. However, that doesn’t give a right to call football boring.

In my country, what team do you support comes before where are you from.  It’s not just a sport, it’s the way we become the whole. A year ago, a civil war started against government. People died, people fought, people cried... For the first time, people from different religions, different cultures and even different countries stood on the same side. And then fans... Galatasaray, Fenerbahçe, Be?ikta?, Trabzonspor fans, they were arm in arm. Football was over, there was no field or a team to cheer. But there was humanity and respect.. Besiktas fans got tanks and closed roads. Galatasaray fans helped hurt people and so on. And that time footbal didn’t matter, archrival either.

It was the soul and what it brought. So yes football is a big deal here and it’s not boring. I cried, I laughed, I trembled and all of these memories came to my life with football. I can’t even imagine my life without Galatasaray.
Maybe one day, I will become a football player or a coach. Maybe, my team will win the Champions League Cup. Who knows? There are hundreds of maybes and hopes. Briefly, there is a bright future front of us waiting to be filled with great memories with our teams.