The Art of Gaming | Teen Ink

The Art of Gaming

By Geracl BRONZE, Glendale, California
Geracl BRONZE, Glendale, California

Gaming, when you hear this word you may think of board games, or games in general. But, in this case, I am speaking of video gaming on computers or different consoles. Video games can take place on platforms such as the Xbox One or the Playstation Four, or even  a regular computers. The term "gaming" usually means the act of playing video games to have fun or to waste time and relax. To some people, gaming is taken seriously and is more of a competitive activity rather than something just to waste time. Gaming is very fun and has many positive elements and attributes that come along.

How does competitive gaming help a person in any way? One may ask. During the act of playing games, the brain does many processes and calculations to solve whatever the game asks the player to do. To some parents, they may think that gaming is just a complete waste of time and that there is no way that it can help their children's or others' train of  thoughts work better or faster. When kids play any computer game that requires them to communicate and/or do immediate or fast actions based on what they think is right, that game helps with problem solving and creativity skills. For example, one game that I play is Counter Strike: Global Offensive. This game requires you to communicate with four other team members to tactically eliminate the enemy team. You may think that if a game has guns and shooting, it only promotes violence and nothing else. That is incorrect, some games actually help with reflexes and fast thinking.

One unique thing gaming brings forward to its players is the interest in history. How is this possible? Some games like Civilization or Assassin's Creed 3 bring forth different historical themes or actual events but in game form. This is very interesting since the majority of the gaming community play these popular games. For example, Assassin's Creed 3 brings forth the American revolution event and the rest of the single player campaign indirectly gives small facts here and there throughout missions (Maybe giving general names or actual town battles). A good reason learning history through games is good is because in games, information is slowly given piece by piece so people with small attention spans don't zone out quickly. This becomes very handy.
We previously mentioned competitive gaming and how many people are into this. Competitive games give many groups of people things to do when they have free time. They can get on  and begin playing something competitive and see who can win the most. Something ideal would be a NBA game (basketball) where you can chose your teams and compete against other teams. A good competitive game would be something that would include a ranking system or a scoring system that would tell who is in the lead or winning.

Finally, bonding. Gaming allows different people to bond and even make new friends. With the capability of going online and playing amongst millions of people, there are thousands of people out there who probably do the same things you do and would become great friends. Gaming allows multiplayer, which can boost a person's social experience and allow people to talk to others without hesitation. Microphones in some games, like Counter Strike: Global Offensive (The one I play) allow the user to talk to others and make plans which helps with leadership and talking skills. Also, gaming with others allows bonding. Maybe between brother and brother, or even son and father!

Gaming is a profitable thing that we humans have invented and using it to both entertain and educate ourselves is just perfect for the modern day people, who tend to have short attention spans and like learning in colorful and interactive ways. But keep in mind the amount of time you sit down and play games, always keep an average limit of how long you should be on and don't overdo it. Use gaming as a tool of education and fun, don't just play all day and take it for granted.

I wrote this because I always get questioned for playing games alot, I want to prove that there are actual advantages from gaming. I hope people will learn why gaming is such a good way to learn and is not only for entertainment.