Finish Line | Teen Ink

Finish Line

“I’ve been practicing really hard mom” I blurted. “I know Sarah, I’ve seen you, are you ready for
Tomorrow?” mom asked me. “I’m just kind of nervous” I mumbled. “You’ll do great Hun” mom
Sympathized. Yeah I hope so I whispered to myself and I walk slowly into my room and shut the door
Behind me. I walk in and changed into some Nike shorts and a simple t-shirt. I pull my hair up in a bun,
Grabbed my running shoes.  And yelled “I’ll see you later mom” and ran off.

My legs were already sore so ii walked to the nearest park. I would be meeting my friend so we could go
And run. “Hey Sarah” yelled savannah from across the park. I wave and walk towards her. “Hey” I
Answered. “Let’s go” “right” I blurted, and we start running.

After running two miles straight we finally stopped to catch our breaths. “You ready for tomorrow?” she
Asked meanwhile catching her breath. “Just a little nervous” I say looking at the ground. “Alright, well
Stay hydrated and I’ll see you tomorrow, good luck!” “Thanks savannah waving her goodbye.
I walk into the kitchen grab a shack and I soon fall asleep.

I wake up with an ache in my stomach just knowing today is the day I’ve been working so hard for,
Makes me throw up. I stand up and brush my teeth and step in the shower. As I step outside I check
10:15 which means I have 4 hours left. “Mom I want donuts” I yelled. “Fine, I’ll be back in 10” I didn’t
reply. Meanwhile I watched tv. 

After a few minutes mom was back. I ate and soon fell asleep. Hours passed and it was time. “Are you
Ready Hun?” “Not really, but let’s go.” “You’ll do great”

As we pulled to the park I noticed all the kids that where there, perhaps about one hundred kids or
more. I hopped off the car and walked to the white line were a lot of kids were already there. I stretched
the couple minutes, suddenly everyone stopped what they were doing and stood up. It was time. I could
feel my hands sweating. I looked up and focus on the finish line.

The whistle blew and I was gone.

After a few laps I could see the end of the line, the big white line and in a distance my mom was
standing cheering me, I sprinted the whole way until I cross the line. In that moment nothing was more
important. “mom I got 7th place!” jumping up and down knowing I made top ten out of hundreds of
runners. “I told you could do it” “I know, thanks mom” I smiled. My hard work had paid off